Monday, October 17, 2016

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Is NOT My Friend: How to UNDO the Update

A few weeks ago, my computer decided to suddenly update itself to the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  I clicked the NO!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! (or equivalent) button, but the stupid PC did it anyway.  -sigh-

I decided to go ahead and try it.  I really loved some of the features and really hated some of the features, as was expected. 

The very MOST HATED "feature" of all was the freezing of my computer causing me to have to hard boot constantly by holding down the power button or removing the battery of my laptop.  

After my computer freezing constantly for at least two weeks, I decided enough is enough. 

I looked for a solution to the problem.  Nope.  Microsoft does not have a solution.  Yup.  Microsoft is fully aware of the problem. They are calling it a "freeze-inducing bug" that is affecting thousands of users.  No patch though...no workaround.  (Makes me crazy.)  Ugh.  Their suggestion?  Roll back your computer to an earlier build of Windows 10.

How many of you just know how to roll back your computer from the Anniversary Update to a previous version of Windows 10?  Really?  That many? 

It is NOT intuitive. Just in case you are like me and weren't born knowing such things, here's how to do it:

Restart your computer if it is completely frozen (as was my case) and then do this OR just do this if you're already in your computer:

On the screen that comes next select Troubleshoot. Then choose Advanced Options.

The Advanced Options screen will look like this:


When you get to this screen click Go back to the previous build and wait.

This will reset your computer to your original Windows 10 software.  You will not lose any files, so don't worry about that. 

There are other fixes you can try if you'd rather stick with the new Anniversary Update, but, if you are like me and don't have time to troubleshoot right now, this will fix it.  You can always research the problem and reinstall the update when you find a real solution.  

At present, I'm too irritated at Windows to care about keeping the update.  

I am irritated at computers a lot.  -sigh- 

I'm pretty sure that Bill Gates is the anti-Christ.  (jk)


No comments:

Post a Comment