Friday, October 14, 2016

Summerville, South Carolina: Observations

Many years ago now I knew an elderly Summerville, South Carolina gentleman who was experiencing memory loss.  He spent the last few years of his life looking for Summerville.

Yes.  You read that correctly.  He actually LIVED in Summerville at the time.  He was born and raised there, and did indeed spend most of his life there, but in the end he couldn't find it.  He would step outside his Summerville home, look around, and say, "Where is Summerville?"

A few days ago I experienced that same feeling. 

On my brother's recent birthday, I took the day off to drive up to Monck's Corner, where my brother lives, and spend the day with him.  As I approached the Summerville and Monck's Corner exits on I-26, I decided to drive through Summerville to see how much damage Hurricane Matthew left behind. 

Wow.

Hurricane Matthew did leave a good bit of leaves and limbs and rubbish everywhere, but the real shock was Summerville itself. 

Summerville has grown so much that it is unrecognizable.  Like my elderly friend finally came to accept, there are two Summervilles: the small town Summerville of his youth and today's Summerville.  It is a city now. 

It was near the middle of the day on a Wednesday, when I was there, and there was so much traffic that it was difficult to drive.  Amazing.  The small town charm seems to have been driven away by hundreds and hundreds of cars pulling out in front of me, suddenly slamming on brakes, and generally driving in my way.

I drove through "Old Summerville" and discovered that many of the old lovely houses anywhere near the main roads are up for sale.  It is possible that the people who owned them have passed away now, but it is also possible that the people living there may no longer want to live that close to that much traffic.

It made me sad. 

Many of the stores and restaurants I used to visit almost every week are no longer there.  Instead, there are brand new stores everywhere.  "Progress" some people would say, I guess.

Hurricane Matthew did his worst in Azalea Park.  There were a lot of limbs down everywhere and work crews were working to clean everything up.  I'm afraid some of the big azaleas in the park were pretty twisted and battered.  So sad.  Here is how I remember Azalea Park in Summerville, SC:


I sure hope Hurricane Matthew didn't destroy the lovely old foot bridges in the park. I used to love walking my dogs there.

Everything changes.  The only thing truly reliable and constant in this life is change.  That is true, I know, but I don't have to always like the changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment