Sunday, October 9, 2016

Hurricane Matthew: The Aftermath

Another hurricane come and gone. My electricity has been off about 24 hours so far, but I survived.

If you could value your property by how good your neighbors are, I would have to charge at least a billion dollars for my little cinderblock house when I retire and move to the mountains next year.  I'm convinced that I have the best neighbors on the planet.  I never even felt alone during the storm because I knew they were nearby and would help me if I needed help.  Most of my neighbors stayed for the storm.

My neighbors are the industrious sort.  None of us have electricity, but they were out in force yesterday cleaning and clearing their yards of debris.  Me?  I don't have the energy for it.  It'll get cleaned up eventually, but not today.

I seriously need coffee.  Real coffee.  I may have to venture out into the parts of the world that have power and can easily make coffee.  I have a camp stove, but I can't take the heat of it, so I won't turn it on. 

It got down to 66 degrees outside last night, but it never got below 73 inside the house even with the windows open.  The cinderblocks are thick and strong, so the temperature inside the house won't change much.

It will be in the 80s today in Charleston.  Summer will just not let go.  October used to be my favorite of all the months because it meant cool weather.  Not this year.  I heard a weatherman say Hurricane Matthew was the result of us having two Septembers and no October this year.  I believe him. 

Here are a couple of photos of the debris.  Mainly just sticks and small leaves.  I sure dread having to take the leaf blower to my roof when the power comes back on, but other than that, all is well.  The roof did not leak.  No real damage.  I am blessed!  

I'm also blessed that my car can charge my phone, so I still have the internet.  When I think of people alone during hurricanes without modern technology, I have to shudder.  Just imagine how that must have felt.  No one to tell them it was almost over.  No one to tell them anything.  

Yes.  I am blessed and I know it, and I am very very thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment