Monday, October 24, 2016

Jack-O-Lantern Fundraiser - Halloween 1993

My life has been blessed in so very many ways, but I'd have to say my sons are my biggest blessing.  They have given me so very many happy days to remember in my old age.  They are my heart.

When I think of Halloween, one of the Halloweens that always pops to mind is Halloween 1993 when my son, Dave, was in college at North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston Salem, NC, and my sons Marcus and Eric were still at home.

On that particular Halloween, my son, Marcus was a senior in high school and his class was doing fund raisers so they could go on a senior trip to New York City in Spring 1994.  Marcus didn't like the things they were selling, so he decided to do his own fundraiser.

Now, you should know that my son, Marcus is a charming creative sort.  Since it was Halloween he decided to sell Jack-O-Lanterns for his fundraiser, so we went to a local pumpkin farm in Kings Mountain, NC and Marcus charmed them into selling him pumpkins for a dollar each.  He then carved those pumpkins and sold them for $10.00 each, as they were all unique and remarkable.  Well worth the price.

Marcus ended up selling over 50 Jack-O-Lanterns that year.  I will never forget it.  He earned enough money for his senior trip as well as pocket money to spend in New York.  He brought us all back presents because that is the kind of person he is.  Generous to a fault.

Here are a few of the pumpkins he carved.  I have other photographs, but I'd have to find and scan them.  That is a project for after I retire.  I'm going to have to live to be 200 years old in order to complete all the projects I need to do after retirement, but I'm thinking I will enjoy each of them that I do get completed.

My favorite of Marcus's creations was a design of his own where the Jack-o-Lantern's smiling teeth spelled out Happy Halloween.  I really need to find that photograph.  It is on my to-do list.  But here are the ones I have already scanned.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment