Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Happy Happy Birthday to My Brother, Tom!!

Tom is the eldest of our family.  There were six of us originally, three boys and three girls.  I am number five. (Number five is the BEST! -grin-)  Two of our brothers have passed away now, so spending time with Tom today is very special to me.

Yes.  I'm taking today off work to spend some time with the birthday boy.  His health is bad now and I don't get to spend as much time with him as I would like.  I sure hope he has a happy day today on this the luckiest of birthdays!!!  Double sevens!

Birthdays are magical things.  They mark the passage of time, true, but they are also full of wishes and hopes and dreams of the coming year.  If I were in charge of the universe, birthdays would be holidays for everyone.  No one should have to work on their birthday unless work is their happy place.

Last year for Tom's birthday I took the day off and took him out to lunch.  He had been craving lasagna, so I took him to The Red Pepper restaurant on Main Street in Summerville, SC.  The food was absolutely delicious.  

Tom said, "This lasagna is so good it'll make you want to slap your Mama."  -laughing-  I guess it's true.  Mama's lasagna never tasted like that.  In fact, I can't remember her ever making lasagna, come to think of it.

After the wonderful meal at The Red Pepper, Tom and I went to explore the nearby new Trader Joes that had just been built at the time.  It was a relaxing and wonderful day.  We talked and laughed and gossiped, as siblings will do, and generally had a good time.

Little did we know at the time that only a few days later Tom's life would totally change. A trip to the doctor and a bad health report changed everything. We truly never know what the future holds. This is why we need to cherish each and every day.  Share the stories.  Share your time and attention with those you love.  That is something money can never buy.  Love one another.  Say, "I love you," and mean it.  It matters.

Happy Birthday to Tom!!!  I love you, Tom, so very much!  😍

Tom Batchelor

No comments:

Post a Comment