Monday, October 3, 2016

Computers are EVIL

Early this morning I was trying to access my Google account to update my blog. 

My computer decided that I was presently located in Boston, Massachusetts and Google decided that a hacker had my password and was trying to access my account.

No.  I was NOT trying to hack my own account.

No.  I was NOT in Boston, Massachusetts.  In fact, I have NEVER been in Boston, Massachusetts.

No.  A hacker was NOT trying to access my account.

-sigh-  So frustrating.

I jumped through all the hoops to get into my account.  I answered all the questions.  I asked Google to text me a code to get into my account.  The text never came.  I then asked Google to email me a code to get into my account.  I entered the code they emailed, and they locked my account anyway.

Seriously Google?  Seriously???!!!

So...I signed into Google via my cell phone and turned off Google's location access.  Then I cleared my Google account's location history.  Next I rebooted my computer and cleaned off all the cookies and all the temporary files.  I ran highjackthis and removed anything suspicious.  I cleaned the registry.  I rebooted another time for good measure and tried again.

Success!!

But then Google made me go through another process of telling them the Boston sign-in attempt was me.  There was no option to tell them that I really was NOT in Boston.  They just assume they never make mistakes.  Any mistake made is due to user error, of course.  UGHHHHH!!!!

Software that is so secure that you can't actually use it yourself, even when you enter the correct username and password and then enter the correct access code they email you, is useless and FRUSTRATING!!!

Sorry.  I'm too frustrated to write a normal blog post today.

Have I ever mentioned that I don't even like computers?

Ugh ugh ugh.

This has basically been my life for decades now.  A major part of my job is software training and troubleshooting computer problems. Not fun.

Have I mentioned I am really looking forward to retirement?  Nine months to go! 

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.



No comments:

Post a Comment