Saturday, October 8, 2016

Friday. A Few Hours Before Hurricane Matthew - A Diary Entry, October 7, 2016

South Carolina's Governor Haley and her band of back-up officials remind me of used car salesmen. 

Have I mentioned that I hate pretty much all sales people?  I especially hate used car salesmen, except the folks at Carmax who don't lie to you.

Today these government and local officials are telling me bold-faced lies on the television.  Seriously. It makes me angry.  They need to remember that they are talking to adults who vote.

One person just said on TV a little earlier that only people who have never experienced a hurricane before are staying.  LIE!  One of my neighbors who is staying has lived here more than 70 years and NEVER left for any of the hurricanes in all that time.

Don't lie to me.

Here is what the National Weather Service is saying as of this morning. Click the picture for a better view.


The weatherman that I trust, Rob Fowler, is no longer announcing.  They have a new fear mongering man yelling the weather report in an anxious voice. What he is actually saying is what you see above, but he is saying it like it will be Hugo.  It will NOT be Hugo.

I do not trust the television anymore.  What the TV officials are saying and what the National Weather Service is saying are two different things.  They are trying to scare people into leaving the area.  I believe it is because they will lose control of the populace for a few hours and the smaller that populace is the better they will feel.  

I have had herding dogs most of my life.  These dogs will protect their "herd" (I'm the only herd my herders have today.) with their lives.  They feel the need to keep the herd orderly and rounded up so that they can see each member of the herd at all times.  

Humans that work in law enforcement, healthcare, and government agencies have a LOT in common with herding dogs.

Now that the window is closing for evacuation, they are trying to herd those of us that are left into one of the shelters that they have created and that they can watch closely.  Those shelters are no safer than my house, but they can not see inside my house, so they'd like me to leave. 

Herding dogs.

Now.  Having said that, I will add that herding dogs are the most loyal and loving dogs you will ever encounter.  They are sincerely concerned for the welfare of their herd.  They are desperate to protect the herd because of their love for the individual members of that herd.

Yes.  Many humans have the same qualities as herding dogs.  

However, these particular people on my TV today are lying to me.  Herding dogs do NOT lie.  Only humans lie.  I don't mind them trying to persuade me to their side by using truth and valid arguments, but when they resort to lies, I can NOT believe anything they say.

Also, when they are telling me to evacuate NOW while they are standing in the same place I am, that is hypocrisy.  There is only one thing I hate worse than a lie and that is hypocrisy.  It reminds me of when I was little and Mama would say a curse word but whip me if I said the same word.  I HATE double-standards.  

That "do as I say not as I do" thing really makes me crazy.

Hurricane Matthew will hit Charleston as a CAT 1 hurricane and then turn into Tropical Storm Matthew.  It will flood.  There will be a storm surge for low-lying areas only.  There will be very large waves.  Trees may fall.  Power may go off for days.  Roofs may fail.  Homes may be destroyed especially if tornadoes are spawned from the hurricane.

All this "might" happen.  Some of this "will" happen, but I have more than mights and wills to consider.

I may have to work Monday along with a bazillion other people who evacuated and will all be trying to drive back home Sunday.  

They reversed the lanes to escape.  You are on your own getting back.  I predict that traffic will be a nightmare and people who ran from the storm to save their lives will lose their lives in accidents caused by the nightmare traffic full of stressed out drivers.

I also have to remember, the looters will NOT leave.  They never leave.  In fact, a lot of strangers are walking around my neighborhood looking at the houses as I type.  The looters scare me more than the storm.

I'm too angry at the lies on my television to type anymore today.  My apologies for venting to you, but it all needed to be said. 

Please don't lie.  Please stay as safe as you can wherever you are.  Please say your prayers if you are religious.  Please wish or hope for the best if you are not religious.  

I will post again tomorrow if I have electricity.  If not, you may not hear from me for awhile.  

October 7, 2016 - 2:00 PM - The rain has begun. The bathtub is full of water.  A big container of water is freezing in my freezer and a big container of ice is sitting in my fridge.  Lots of extra water is in containers.  My car is parked at my neighbor's house on higher ground that did not flood last year during the 1000 year flood.  Now I wait.

October 7, 2016 - 2:00 PM - The weatherman, Rob Fowler, is back announcing!  Yay!  I trust him. He does NOT try to scare me more than the storm warrants.  He just gives me the facts.

I like that.

The latest predictions have Hurricane Matthew hitting as a hurricane...possibly a CAT 2 Hurricane.  The next 24 hours will be harrowing. Click the picture for a better view.





No comments:

Post a Comment