Monday, October 10, 2016

Hurricane Matthew: No Power: Day 2

My neighbors in front and beside me have power now, but I'm sitting in the dark typing this on my laptop. No power for me yet.

SCE&G assures me they are working on it, and I know they are, but water is dripping from my freezer, so I'm losing all my food which makes me not happy.

Still, I am blessed. The weather behind Hurricane Matthew is glorious!!! It is supposed to be 55 degrees tonight! I will be able to sleep and breathe at the same time at 55 degrees.

Another happy thing happened today too.  I discovered something that I haven't thought about in years.

Today, for the first time since I grew to adulthood, I felt at home.

Everyone had their doors and windows open.  They were pretty much all outside cleaning up their yards.  Their children were playing outside.  Squealing and running around and having fun.  People were walking and riding bikes all around the neighborhood.  They were telling each other all about their harrowing experiences.

Most of my neighbors, as well as myself, stayed put for the hurricane, but some evacuated and came home with travel tales.  Adventures shared with their cars full of children and pets.  Sitting in traffic.  Camping.  Hotels.  The works.

Their dogs were so happy to be home. They bounced around excited and smiling, as is the nature of dogs.  Cats were meowing their displeasure at having been uprooted and generally inconvenienced, as is the nature of cats.

Then I looked at my sturdy little house and thought to myself, "This is how the neighborhood sounded when my house was born."

My house was built in the 1950s.  It has existed through all the decades of my life, so we have a lot in common.  It must have soaked up the emotions of all those decades too, but today, as I looked at it, I think if houses could talk it would tell me it liked today best of all the days I've lived in it.  

It was a happy day.  No electricity, but a very happy day.

Having said that, I'm thinking I sure hope my electricity comes back on tonight or tomorrow!  I'm thankful to have my car to charge my phone and other electronics, but electricity is so much more convenient and I do love a hot shower.

Thankfully I have water!!  Yay!

I am truly blessed and I know it and I am thankful!  😇

10-9-2016 7:00 PM SCE&G Outages
Click the photo for a larger view.  SCE&G really is working on the electrical outages. This number is now 49,739 without power, which is down from over 110,000 last night. Maybe my power will come on tomorrow. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment