Thursday, August 11, 2016

The History of Mirrors and How They Are Made Today

Yesterday's post about adjusting rear view mirrors made me think of mirrors in general which made me think of the history of mirrors which led me to today's post.

Whew!  I worry how my mind rambles through life sometimes.

Anyway, I started researching mirrors and I found some fascinating facts, and MANY MANY films about the history of mirrors.

Some mirror facts:
  • The first mirror was probably just still water that showed your reflection.
  • The first real mirrors were polished stones like obsidian, a shiny volcanic glass.
  • Polished copper mirrors were next.
  • Metal coated glass was sometime later.
  • Then in 1835 the silvered-glass mirror is said to have been created by the German chemist, Justus von Liebig.
I could ramble on, but the films are more interesting, so I'll share them instead along with some links to some mirrors I find particularly interesting that are available today!  :-)  Keep scrolling....




This is really cool too: How Mirrors Are Made



Now.  Last, but not least.  Some pretty cool new mirrors you might like to see! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment