Monday, August 8, 2016

The French Protestant Huguenot Church: My True Story

It was a beautiful Sunday morning back in the late 2000s. I had decided to visit my friend, Conyers' church, St. Philip's Episcopal Church, in lovely Charleston, SC, so I drove downtown early to look for parking. 

As luck would have it I couldn't find parking outside St. Philip's, but I did find a spot down Queen Street next to Meeting Street, so I parked the car and headed down the sidewalk towards the corner of Queen and Church.

Those of you who are familiar with Charleston, SC know that the corner of Queen and Church Streets house two very historical buildings, The Dock Street Theater (aka: America's First Theater) and the French Protestant Huguenot Church. 

As I approached the corner, there were men standing in front of the Huguenot Church.  I said something like, "Good morning!" to them and they asked me where I was going.  I told them St. Philip's and they started trying to convince me to come to their church instead.  They were in a very good mood that morning, and they made me laugh.  I knew my paternal grandmother's mother's family were originally Huguenots, so I thought, "Well, why not?"

I have still never made it to St. Philip's.  I've been at the French Huguenot Church since that Sunday.  

Bill Thornton, one of the men in front of the Huguenot Church that day, walked me inside and sat me down with two of the sweetest ladies you would ever care to meet, Edith Corry and Arla Holroyd.   I called them Miss Edith and Miss Arla.  They showed me exactly what to do, when to stand, when to sit, etc.; introduced me to the pastor, Rev. Philip Bryant; and then walked me over to the collation (food, drink, and fellowship) held after the church service in a house the church owns on Queen Street.  

Miss Edith and Miss Arla
I was home.  

Everything about that service spoke to me.  I can honestly say I felt (and still feel) like I had finally found the church service I've been seeking my whole life. 

I will miss my church so much when I retire and move away.  Hopefully I will be able to come back and visit at times.  I love my church.  The people there are just the best.  

I sat with Miss Edith and Miss Arla the rest of that year...maybe longer.  They were always so good to me.

Miss Edith lived to be 97 years old and was a faithful church member until the very end of her days.  

Miss Arla sold her house and moved away a few years ago.  (I can understand that.  I'm about to do the same next year.)  I'm not sure where she is now, but I miss her and think of her often and hope she is well and happy.  

If you ever find yourself on the corner of Queen and Church Streets in lovely downtown Charleston, SC of a Sunday morning, be sure to visit the French Protestant Huguenot Church.  You will be glad you did. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment