Thursday, August 25, 2016

Tai Chi for Arthritis

My rheumatologist recently told me that she wants me to take Tai Chi classes to combat my joint problems, bursitis, and general inflammation, so I started researching the Tai Chi classes offered in the Charleston, SC area.

Yes.  I know.  I'm a research-aholic.

Here's what I discovered:
  • Most Tai Chi classes in the area are offered via martial arts studios and have a martial arts focus.  All ages can attend these classes.
  • Tai Chi classes offered nights and weekends are mainly for younger people and are not of the arthritis/joint help variety.
  • The Medical University offers Tai Chi classes, but you also have to buy access to the Wellness Center so it is $125.00 per six weeks' course (Wednesday morning only) for all ages (about $21.00 a class) and you have to pay for parking.
  • The Lowcountry Senior Center offers a Tai Chi course through Roper Hospital that focuses on arthritis.  Only people ages 50 and above can take this course.  It meets every Thursday morning and costs $45.00 a month (about $11.00 a class unless there are five Thursdays in the month, then it is about $9.00 a class) AND there is free parking.
 Guess which course I am taking?  Any idea? 😉 I'll give you a couple of hints.  I need the arthritis focused Tai Chi, and $11.00 is less than $21.00 (plus parking).

Yup.  You guessed it.  I'm at the Lowcountry Senior Center.  I'm having to take annual leave from work to take the course, but it is so worth it.  I've only had two classes so far, but I have another one this morning.  It is easy for me to do and I feel much better afterwards.  I sure hope I can find something similar when I move next summer, as I believe my rheumatologist is correct.  I need to take Tai Chi.

My instructor's name is Reggie Westbrooks.

Reggie is the director of the James Island Masters Studio. He is a 5th Degree Black Belt in the art of Shaolin Kempo and a certified instructor in Tai Chi, Kung Fu and Fitness Kickboxing. Reggie also trains in Wushu and Wushu Weaponry.   

Reggie receives his Tai Chi training from Laoshi Joshua Grant. Joshua is the director of the Tai Chi and Internal Martial Arts program at the Boston Kung Fu/Tai Chi Institute, and is the U.S. Gold Medalist Tai Chi, 2x U.S. National Champion in Wushu Tai Chi, and Founder of the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute.

I feel honored and privileged to study under such a multi-talented and accomplished Tai Chi instructor as Reggie Westbrooks.  

For the Lowcountry Senior Center Tai Chi classes he has focused his teachings on movements that help with arthritis, and I find him a patient and excellent teacher.  

He also furnishes his Tai Chi students with a DVD of the movements so we can practice at home.  When he forgot to bring a DVD to class for me, he sent it to me in the mail at his own expense.  That is the kind of person he is.  Excellent!

I'm so very pleased with this class and would recommend it to all my peers who have trouble with stiff joints and arthritis.  I truly am blessed and I know it and I am very thankful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment