Saturday, August 6, 2016

AKC Official Border Collie Colors - There are MANY!

I'm feeling the need to educate today because I was recently reminded of an incident that happened last January (2016) at Charleston Kennel Club's AKC annual dog show in Ladson, SC. 

Someone told me a sable Border Collie could NOT compete.  WRONG!!! (Imagine a buzzer sound effect here.)


My girl, Dolly, is the sweetest and most beautiful sable Border Collie in the universe!

According to the official AKC Border Collie Breed Standard found at: http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/border-collie/ Border Collies come in ALL COLORS. NOT just black and white!!!

This is from the official most current AKC breed standard (effective July 1, 2015), but it was true in the last version as well:

Color—The Border Collie appears in all colors or combination of colors and/or markings. All colors are to be judged equally with no one color or pattern preferred over another. White markings may be clear white or ticked to any degree. Random white patches on the body are permissible but should not predominate. The predominant ear color should match the primary body color. Color and markings are always secondary to physical evaluation and gait.

NOTE: Displaying your snobbishness and sheer stupidity by arguing with a sable-colored Border Collie human about Border Collie colors at an AKC Dog Show is NOT smart. ESPECIALLY if said human BC Mama carries a computer (smart phone) in her pocket. Ugh. People make me crazy.  -sigh-


I'm not really angry.  I just don't want that to happen again, so I thought I'd try to educate as many people as I can about Border Collie colors.  Here goes!

According to the Border Collie Society of America, Border Collies come in:



For more general information click HERE.

To view examples of gorgeous Border Collie dogs in the following color categories, please click the name of the color(s) below:
I hope you enjoyed today's post, and maybe learned something too! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment