Friday, August 5, 2016

Lifelong Friends

Just look at us babies!!  

This is my first grade group photo taken in the Autumn of 1961.  Can you find me?  I'll give you a hint:  I've always been tall, and I've always had lovely (although sometimes very messy) dark hair.

In upstate South Carolina, back in 1961, all little girls and female teachers had to wear dresses or skirts and tops to school.  Little boys and male teachers had to wear pants and shirts.  I don't remember anyone wearing t-shirts back then.  T-shirts were underwear!!

Many of these people are still my friends in real life and also on Facebook.  When I posted this photo on Facebook, they all chimed in with comments.  Here are some of the things they said (names omitted for privacy's sake):
  • Oh my!
    • You must have seen my hair!
  • I'm thinking if we had combed Mike's hair to a peak in front, he could have been little Eddie Munster!
    • He acted like Eddie Munster too!
  • Gosh wonder how many Toni home perms are in this picture...I can tell a few !!!
    • Hey, my mama did a good job on mine!! Bless it!
    • MY HAIR!!!! Lordy, it wasn't enough that I had naturally curly hair and looked like Shirley Temple when I was around 3-4 years old but mom had to go get my long hair cut and put in a perm. 
    • I HATED those perms!!!
    • Mama rolled my hair on bobby pins the night before this picture, and Mrs. Moss combed it!!! LOL Too funny!!! It stuck straight up!!! There was nothing you could do with it. Mama was pretty upset with the individual pictures that year.
  • Poor old Mrs. Moss! There were 32 children in our class, and she was still smiling!
    • She was a great teacher!
    • I just love that woman!
    • I do remember her being a sweet teacher - she must have liked our class since she moved her son up to join us.
    • Everytime I run into her she always knows who I am!
  • I am still upset about my dress - dang crinolines! I must have ripped a dozen on that metal sliding board...
    • I ripped a dress on that sliding board one time too! I had totally forgotten about that.
    • I can't believe that, I ripped a dress from the waistline all the way down past the hem on that sliding board also!!!
    • Gosh I never knew we all were destroying dresses on that thing!!!!
  • This is too funny - look at the smiles!!! Almost NOBODY has their mouth open!! We must have all lost our front teeth at the same time!!!! 
    • Pam must have had all her teeth!
    • I know I was missing my front teeth because of my individual photo, hahahaha
Still friends and still crazy.  After all these years!  I just LOVE these people.  I am truly blessed.  😄  

No comments:

Post a Comment