Monday, August 15, 2016

My Maternal Grandmother's Funeral Photos: Gone But Not Forgotten

It was 1956.  Only a few days before my first birthday when my beloved maternal grandmother fell dead of a heart attack while hanging clothes on the line.  Her sister said, "Janie said she felt poorly this morning, so she wanted to finish the laundry first thing."
This is typical of my mother's family.  Hard workers.  All of them.  Dedicated and strong people who for the most part all died of heart attacks or some weird and very rare form of cancer.

Personally, I hope I go like Grandma.  Useful until my last breath and never a burden to my children or grandchildren.

She was 65. (b. Jan. 6, 1891 d. Jun. 19, 1956)

The photos below were taken at her graveside in the Camps Creek Baptist Church graveyard in Mooresboro, NC.  Her siblings were the Humphries family I posted about on August 1, 2016.  Many of those siblings are pictured here. 

Above, my family is pictured surrounding the flowers covering my maternal Grandmother's grave.  June 1956.  The little girl in the foreground right wearing the hat is my cousin, Edith, Aunt Vernie's daughter.  The lady crying third from the right is my precious Aunt Jean.  Her husband, George, is holding her arm trying to comfort her.  Aunt Jean was the baby of Mama's family.  Losing her Mama was a horrific unexpected blow.

In the above photo, the young boy in front is my red-headed brother, Gene, who passed away of a major heart attack in 2002.  His ashes were scattered at sea by the US Navy with full honors as he was a Vietnam War Veteran and this was his request.  My sweet and very beautiful sister, Miniver, stands beside him.  My father is behind the children on the left and my mother is cross-armed wearing white with a black collar. I do not know who the man in the middle is, but the man second from the right is my Uncle Orson (by marriage) standing beside his wife, my Aunt Vernie wearing black. They all look like they just lost their best friend, which, I guess they did.

The lady in front center with her head bowed is my dear Great-Aunt Alt (Great-Aunt by marriage, but also a cousin, as that family married cousins a LOT) The man with the glasses looking to the right is my Uncle "Bud" Ellie standing beside his wife, my precious Aunt Ellen, who died of cancer when she was only 61 or so.  The man on the far right is either my Great-Uncle Void or my Great-Uncle George.  They were brothers and looked very much alike back then.  The rest are other Aunts, Uncles, Great-Aunts, Great Uncles, and a bevy of cousins of different ages and degrees.  I sure miss all these people. 
My maternal grandmother, Janie Humphries Batchelor, lies beside my maternal grandfather, Dawson Marcus Batchelor, who died of Thypoid Fever leaving her pregnant and destitute.  If you are curious about that story, read my June 13, 2016 post.
That is all for today.  It hurts too much to look back for too long, but it is important to record family history for my sons and granddaughters and all my family generations yet unborn.  Someone will be glad I did one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment