Thursday, June 9, 2016

Rewrite Your Life

Facing retirement is frightening.  Moving to a new place...especially alone...is frightening!  

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately, as you know if you're following my blog.  This is what I discovered about myself:

I've rewritten my life multiple times.  Even my childhood was rewritten by circumstances out of my control, and I survived!! The truth is: I have thrived!


In 1995 I moved to Charleston, SC with only enough money to pay one month's rent.  I am still here.  I own a house.  I have a good job, two good dogs, a lot of friends, and a wonderful life!

Was it easy?  Not always.  Did I struggle?  Sometimes. Did I give up?  Never.

I worked very hard for this life, so it is natural to ask myself if I really want it to change so drastically.  I know the answer is, "YES!!" It is time for a change, but change is scary.  I have to fight my fear everyday. 

Which reminds me of this poem I wrote back in college:

Did You Hear It?

Did you hear it?
Creeping along the darkened path,
Closing fingers overhead,
Until with chilling breath it breathes
Upon my very soul it seems.

Did you see it?
Lurking in the shadows of the night,
Relentlessly it tracks its prey.
With eyes that chill you to the bone.
It looks upon your very soul.
It looks upon your very soul.

It lives in creaks and cracks and holes,
And drinks upon those found alone,
And lives in those who know it well,
And laughs at mortal man who tries
to run and hide and leave behind
this thing that we call fear.


I have to laugh at myself.  I know that fear is only natural.  No one can escape it.  I just have to to keep reminding myself that all the changes in my life so far have led me to better things.  Even the changes I assumed were BAD turned out to be good.  I just need to have faith that I am on the right path.  I need to trust.


If you, like me, are about to rewrite your life, here's my advice:  Believe.
  1. Believe you can do it!
  2. Believe you will be successful.
  3. Believe good things are going to happen to you.
  4. Believe you will find your perfect life.
 I know.  Sounds too simple, but believing is harder than you think.  That little devil on your shoulder yells in your ear all the time.  Things like:
  • You're not good enough.
  • You're too old.
  • You're not healthy enough.
  • You're ugly.
  • You'll never get well.
  • You'll never be rich.
  • You're going to fail.
Don't listen!!! 

Believe in yourself.  Love yourself. You are an eternal being of light, and you are here for a reason. 

If you feel strongly that you need to make a change in your life, then you need to make a change in your life. 

Don't be afraid of change.

I wrote this poem back in 2004.  I believe it still applies.


Change

Change your schedule
Change your clothes
Change your ways
Change

Change disrupts, corrupts, interrupts,
Melts, rusts, decays and dissolves,
but I like change best
when it jingles
.


In other words, ask yourself, what's in it for me?  If the answer is something like a better life, more happiness, a healthier life, etc., then you need to rewrite your life!

Become the person your dogs think you are. 
😉

No comments:

Post a Comment