Saturday, June 25, 2016

Weird, Wild, and Wonderful South Carolina Places You'll Want to Visit


Todabut I did find the clip interesting. my birthday!!!  Happy Birthday to ME!

Sometimes my friends and I like to do day trips to celebrate my birthday.  We don't go to the normal South Carolina tourist places like Myrtle Beach or Charleston or Beaufort or Table Rock, we go see odd and wondrous things!

Last year some friends and I went to the Button King Museum in lovely Bishopville, South Carolina.  We had THE BEST time.

The "Button King" is a man named Dalton Stevens. When he can't sleep he sews or pastes or somehow attaches buttons to things.  He's had insomnia a LOT, so he has all kinds of things covered in buttons. A car. A hearse. A toilet. A suit. A coffin. Etc. etc. etc. Seriously.  You want to see this place.



While we were in Bishopville, we couldn't pass up seeing Pearl Fryor's famous Topiary Gardens. Awesome!!

Pearl's story is immortalized in the DVD, A Man Named Pearl.  I first saw this on PBS a number of years ago, and I'm so very glad I was able to actually visit his gardens and see his work in person.  It is worth the trip!
Here are some of the snapshots I took during my visit to Pearl Fryor's gardens, but honestly, photos do not do this place justice. 





Go see if for yourself if you can!

For my birthday today (Yay!) some friends and I are going to The Park Cafe for breakfast this morning, and then we are going to Cottageville, SC to see Bee City!  I'm soooo excited!  Bee City is a Honey Bee farm, petting zoo, and nature center.  Should be a lot of fun!

We might even stop by JW's Tire Station while we're in Cottageville to see the Tow Mater Tribute. 


Then, if the time works out, we hope to go to Ridgeville, SC to Duke's BBQ for some of the BEST barbecue around.  I sure hope time works out.  😊

Here are some other great off-the-beaten-path things for you to see and do when you visit South Carolina.  I love places like these. Makes me want to travel more.

If you ever find yourself in Blackville, SC, you need to go visit God's Acre Healing Springs.


While you are in Blackville, be sure to stop at Miller's Bread Basket for some of the BEST Amish/Mennonite home cooking you'll find anywhere.

Can you tell it's nearly time for breakfast?  I guess I'm hungry.

Anyway....

Don't forget to go to Bowman, SC to see the UFO Welcome Center.  Watch this short video for more information on this one.  Wild, weird, and wonderful adventure for sure!!



NOTE: If you are easily offended, stop watching this after the first couple of minutes. I don't like the sex talk later in the clip, but I did find the clip interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment