Sunday, June 12, 2016

Happy Birthday Marcus!

Today I'm thinking about birthdays.  Probably because I actually gave birth to my middle son on this day back in the mid-1970s

Birthday Wishes Always Come True!

It was a scorching humid absolutely miserable June day and I was about two weeks past my due date.  I was roughly the size of an elephant and pretty much ready to jump off the house to induce my labor, but finally finally finally my son, Marcus, decided to make his grand entrance.  

Marcus is my second child.  My son, Dave, was two years old at the time and so precious to me that I was afraid I could never love a second child as much as the first.  Stupid fear.  I know that now, but at the time it was a real concern.  

The little devil was screaming in my ear again:
  • You can't do this.
  • Two children are too much for you to handle.
  • You're not good enough.
  • You're not smart enough.
  • You're not you're not you're not....😈
Stinking devil. 

Yes.  I know that particular devil is just me.  -sigh-

Marcus had been home three days, and I was just beginning to relax when I noticed he was turning yellow.  He didn't look exactly right.  He was lethargic.  

The devil was saying, "Now what have you done?!" and I felt panicky as I called the doctor, and we rushed Marcus to the hospital as instructed.  

Marcus's bilirubin was 21. He was six days old.  

Those of you in the medical profession know how serious that is.  We were scared to death.  

Marcus was in the hospital for several days.  I never left his side, and I am convinced that Marcus and I both have a whole flock of guardian angels who hovered over us those terrible days.

My blood type is negative.  Marcus's father's blood type is positive. Probably doesn't matter much nowadays, but that was NOT a good combination back then.  

By the next week, after much prayer and medical care, Marcus was back "in the pink" and able to come home again! 

This is when I realized, like the Grinch, my heart had grown at least three sizes since Marcus's birth!  I marveled that I absolutely could love more than one child that much!

Marcus with his older brother, Dave - mid-1970s
These two were a loud and happy handful.  My babies.

A few months later, my son, Eric, was born and added even more noise and love to my life.  Those were the years, my friends.


Marcus is grown now.  He's loved by all who know him...especially me.  I'm so very proud to be able to say he's my son.

Happy Birthday Marcus!  Don't forget to blow out the candles and make a wish!  Birthday wishes always come true.  😊

1 comment:

  1. Weston's birthday is 6/6. When he was 3 days old I took him to the hospital. His bilirubin level was 22. He spent 5 days in the spaceship under lights and I didn't get to hold him until day 4 and only for 20 minutes every 4 hours.

    ReplyDelete