Monday, June 20, 2016

My Original Huguenot Ancestors: A True Story

Many years ago my cousin, Vera, told me that I could join the Huguenot Society.  At the time I didn't think much about it.  There was no Huguenot Society in our small town in the Upstate of South Carolina, but I stored the information away in my memory.  It came in handy later in life, as is often true of random things.

When I moved to lovely Charleston, South Carolina in 1995, I realized that the French Huguenot Society of South Carolina is headquartered here, and Charleston has a lovely French Huguenot Church on the corner of Church and Queen Streets downtown. 


Seeing the Huguenot Church at first just gave me a "hmmm" moment.  It was years later, when I started studying my genealogy in earnest, that I became a member there, and, yes, Vera was right.  I can (and did!) indeed join the Huguenot Society.

I discovered that my paternal grandmother was descended from French nobility who were Huguenots.  Her French ancestors were the Marquis Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues of the old French Province of Bearn and his bride, Isabella du Portal, who was a Lady in Waiting to Catherine de' Medici, mother of three kings of France: King Francis II, King Charles IX, and King Henry III. 

Jean Paul and Isabella's story is fascinating!  It begins in Paris, as all great French romances should, in my opinion.  

Paris is where they must have first met.  Our young Marquis would have visited the court with his friend King Henry of Navarre.  He must have first seen Isabella there.  

As was the custom in France in the 1570s, the young couple's marriage was arranged, but it seems it was also a true love match, as they escaped the city together to be married.  

Why did they escape???

Now.  Therein lies the story.

It was 1572.  Late August.  In France.  In Paris. 

Many of you will be thinking, "OH NO!!!  The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre!" and you would be right.


In late August of 1572 King Charles IX of France ordered the assassination of Huguenot Protestant leaders in Paris, setting off an orgy of killing that resulted in the Catholics massacring tens of thousands of Huguenots all across France from August to October 1572.

It seemed like the perfect time to leave the country. 

Our dashing young Marquis rescued his Lady in Waiting and  escaped to Dieppe, France, a port city in Normandy, where they married.  

Immediately after the marriage they boarded a ship and left their beloved France to escape being killed for their religion.

The ship had planned to sail to England or Amsterdam in The Netherlands, but the winds blew the ship to Sweden instead, where the Marquis and his new wife, Isabella, were taken under the protection of the Swedish court.  They settled there and raised their family.  They had only one son, whose name is not known, but that son had a son named Lars (Lawrence) Huling.


Lars immigrated to America (Delaware) sometime before 1640 and married a young woman named Elizabeth Portallis.

Lars and Elizabeth had a son named Marcus Huling who married Brigitta Danielsson.


And so on and so on and so on until the little boy, Thomas, who was my father, was born in 1900.

Thus my family fell from the heights of European nobility to the little boy having to go to work in the cotton mill at the age of six to help support his family.  

I have no doubt that any and all of my family would still give up hearth and home in defense of faith, so a bit of that nobleman still lives in all of us, I think.

There is more to my family's story, of course.  Much much more.  

I'll tell you more.  By and by....

In the meantime, you might enjoy reading this account of what happened to Jean Paul and Isabella from: The Boyds By Elizabeth Boyd Henry Tennies – Page 390

The late Dr. William Henry Egle, State Librarian of Pennsylvania, in an article in the "Harrisburg Daily Telegraph," of February 11, 1882, gives this history of the Hulings family:


The
Marquis Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues, a distinguished Bearnese nobleman, who followed the fortunes of his prince and kinsman, Henry of Navarre in France, was one of those heroic men who defended La Rochelle and, finally, in April, 1572, accompanied Henry to Paris to be present at the nuptials of that prince with Marguerite de Valois, daughter of the cruel Catharine d Medici on August 18th. On the 24th of August, he witnessed the horrible massacre of St. Bartholomew (the massacre of Protestants), just as the Boyds were victims of the massacres in Ulster, Ireland, because they were Presbyterians.

The Marquis de Hulingues was one of the young noblemen who waited in the ante-chamber of the prince and his bride on that fatal eve.

He alone of all their personal attendants escaped from the Louvre, as by a miracle, through the gratitude of one of the Catholic soldiers. After various perils, he succeeded in reaching Dieppe. Here he was soon joined by this betrothed wife, Isabella de Portal who. Although a protégé and maid of honor of Queen Catharine, was a member of one of those rare old French families of Languedoc, descended from the Albigois, whose war cry and armorial device was renowned through Southern France.  Their name is inscribed in the “Book of Capitols”, which, like the “Golden Book” of Venice, contained the names of all the patrician families of the ancient nobility.

She was a native of Toulouse, and was rescued by a caprice of Catharine’s from the fate of her once powerful, but now persecuted family, and though carefully educated in the Catholic tenets, was secretly faithful to the (Huguenot) religion of her family. The Marquis and the Lady Isabella de Portal were privately married at Dieppe and sailed for England; but fearful of pursuit and the weather proving stormy, they were landed on the Danish coast. They afterwards proceeded to Gothenburg, Sweden, where they lived but a few years. They left an only son, whose descendants emigrated to America.


References:

Sir Robert Douglas, Volume Second 30-34. Charles A. Hanna THE SCOTCH-IRISH, (New York, 1902) (Reprinted, Baltimore, MD., Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1985), Vol. II, 440-441, 466-467, 469, 484.

The American Genealogical Research Institute, THE BOYD FAMILY, (Arlington, Virginia, Heritage Press, 1973.) 4.


Here is a copy of our French Huguenot Liturgy for you.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. My family and my close relatives are also direct descendants of Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues. There were 2 grandsons who emigrated to America, Lars and Marcus, and I believe Lars is this line of the Hulings family. In doing genealogical research, there sure are a lot of heirs named Marcus, even cousins of each other. My grandfather was Willis J. Hulings, Senator, and as a younger man had risen in the ranks of the Sixteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers from private to Brigadier General. He and his father Marcus also had many mining interests. There is another Marcus Hulings line and he had many children who also served in the first world war. I found lots of material from old newspapers, articles, journals, magazines and books by just googling Hulings and any other key word. Hulings Oil will reveal that our ancestor was the 1st man in America to discover oil in 1818 and to eventually sell 2000 barrels to sell it to France in 1822.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a Descendant of Marquis Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues, I - Isabella du Portal .
      They are my 10-th Great grandparents.
      Roy Huling, Phelps, New York.
      royhuling@hotmail.com. I would love to collaborate with you on this.

      Delete
  2. CORRECTION: my great grandfather was Willis J. Hulings

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the documented generations that allowed me to join the Huguenot Society of South Carolina. I am listed as Gen. 1.

    There are many many descendants. Many were named Marcus. My line left the Hulings name behind in the 1700s when a Hulings daughter married William Bird, an Ironmaster.

    Gen. 1 Alice Batchelor Hambright

    Gen. 2 Thomas Robert Batchelor – Ruby Batchelor

    Gen. 3 Alice Madora Bell – William Houston Batchelor

    Gen. 4 Martha J. Bird – Lawson A. Bell

    Gen. 5 Marcus Ross Bird – Dorinda Melvina Nance

    Gen. 6 Edward Bird – Margaret Eliza Smith

    Gen. 7 Marcus [Mark] Bird – Mary Ross

    Gen. 8 Brigetta Hulings - William Bird

    Gen. 9 Marcus Hulings, II – Margaretta Jones

    Gen. 10 Marcus Hulings, I – Brigitta Danielsson

    Gen. 11 Lars (Lawrence) Huling –

    Gen. 12 ??? (Son of Marquis de Hulingues) – ???

    Gen. 13 Marquis Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues, I - Isabella du Portal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a Descendant of Marquis Jean Paul Frederick de Hulingues, I - Isabella du Portal .
      They are my 10-th Great grandparents.
      Roy Huling, Phelps, New York.
      royhuling@hotmail.com. I would love to collaborate with you on this.

      Delete
  4. Bridgetta Hulings and William Bird's daughter Rachel married James Wilson, a drafter and signer of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. He was also instrumental in creating the Electoral College and was appointed as a judge on the first Supreme Court by George Washington. Rachel's brother William Bird married Mary Ross, whose brother or father was also a signer. Betsy Ross was an in law by marriage. I have often seen an older photo of a young woman, of the Bird family, when I've googled our ancestry and she smartly resembles my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel's brother was Col. Marcus "Mark" Bird, my ancestor. William was her father.

    Col. Mark Bird was the Quartermaster General of the Revolutionary Army. He succeeded in floating food down the Potomic River to Gen. George Washington's Army that winter at his own expense. He also supplied guns and ammunition for the Revolutionary Army at his own expense.

    http://linton-research-fund-inc.com/Mark_Bird_1738_1812.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A genealogist contacted me once from one of the genealogical websites trying to disprove my family's history. It was an old argument that he had been having with an older genealogist who had apparently died, and he sincerely missed arguing with him.

    I, on the other hand, do not enjoy arguing with strangers who do NOT know me yet question my parentage.

    This man had located two men with the Hulings surname and had their DNA done. I have no DNA in common with them, of course, since no one on Earth has a DNA sample from our common ancestors 10 generations back, AND there were more than one family of Hulings in that area. Many of them were named Lars or Marcus, so you really have to trace the maternal line to find the correct family.

    Female DNA will only show you eight generations of cousins and only then if you are lucky. Then there is always the unfortunate truth that some children may carry the surname of their "father" but none of his actual genes. You can never rely on surnames alone. You need to trace the mothers. It's true there are instances where children were mistakenly switched in hospitals and raised by the wrong families, but that is very rare. Most of the time the real mother raises the child.

    When I directed this argumentative Internet stranger to the Huguenot Society of South Carolina professional genealogists with all their research experience who verified my information before admitting me to the Huguenot Society, he was not interested in collaborating nor arguing with them. He was only interested in cyber bullying me, so I blocked him.

    I am not interested in collaborating with anyone about my family. I have listed the generations. I have actual proof of those generations that I submitted to the Huguenot Society. They have everything on file. If you must argue, they will be happy to argue with you for a fee, as their time is not free.

    You can easily find them on the Internet. They have a website and they will accept electronic payments for their services, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete