Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Former Tour Guide's List of Things to Do in Charleston, SC

This morning I'm still thinking about Charleston, SC and tourists, so I decided to give you some "things to do" recommendations.
 
Free or inexpensive things to do in or near Charleston:
  1. Go see Angel Oak
    (Oldest living thing east of the Rockies)
  2. Go to the Charleston Tea Plantation
    (Only tea plantation in North America)
  3. Visit one of our County Parks.  James Island County Park is my favorite. My dogs love the dog park there!
  4. Go to the beach!!!  Folly Beach or Isle of Palms Beach or Sullivan's Island Beach
  5. Explore the Historic Charleston City Market
  6. Explore one or more of the 181 Historic Churches on the Charleston peninsular.  The French Huguenot Church is my church. Come to a service!
  7. Visit The Citadel campus.  Every Friday afternoon (weather permitting) during the Fall and Spring semesters the Citadel cadets have a parade.  FREE to the public!
  8. Visit the Battery
  9. Visit the Art Galleries.
  10. Window shop and people watch!

FUN things to do that cost money (and well worth it!):
  1. The Charleston Museum (America's FIRST Museum)
  2. Charleston's Museum Mile (LOTS of different kinds of museums.  Something for everyone!)
  3. Take a carriage tour!  I used to drive for Old South Carriage Company, but there are other carriage companies too.
  4. Take a bus, boat, or plantation tour! There are many companies.  Choose your favorite from the Visitor's Center
  5. Do a Gullah Tour or a Walking Tour!
  6. Do a Ghost Tour!
  7. Visit the SC Aquarium or Patriot's Point!
  8. Do a Food Tour!
  9. Enjoy live music!
  10. Eat wonderful food and go see a live play!
    The Historic Dock Street Theater was America's first theater. 
There are even things for your dogs to do here.  My dogs, Dolly and Stark, love visiting the parks, and I admit, I love taking them!

Dolly and Stark at Brittlebank Park Off-Leash Area on the Ashley River, Charleston, SC
Stark and Dolly at the James Island County Park Dog Park, James Island, SC
There are many dog parks and dog friendly hotels and restaurants in the area, but humans get the bulk of "to do" things.  Don't worry.  If you bring Fido and need a little alone human time, there are also many Doggie Day Care centers and boarding facilities here ready to serve you.

I will miss Charleston when I retire and move back closer to family. Hopefully I will be able to come visit all my friends in Charleston once in awhile.  I'd enjoy doing some of these things again myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment