Friday, June 3, 2016

Online Housing Obsession

I admit it.  I've become obsessed with house hunting a whole YEAR in advance of my being able to sell my house and move.

Sometimes I think I have lost my mind.

I've been stalking sites like zillow.com and realtor.com and trulia.com and homes.com and mls.com and homefinder.com, but the craziest site I've been stalking is the real estate section of  asheville.craigslist.com.

Seriously.  You would NOT believe what all I've seen on craigslist.  It boggles the mind.

Here is what I have learned so far:

This is the home I want:
This is the home I can afford:

And I've learned:
  1. All beautiful houses that are not haunted or are located within 50 miles of an actual town are out of my price range.  -sigh-
    (A sad but true fact.)
  2. "Fixer-upper" means "needs to be torn down and rebuilt."
  3. "Cozy" means about the size of an average rich person's walk-in closet.
  4. "Desirable location" means they desire to sell their house that is in a direct flight path near the airport and train station. 
  5. "Charming cottage" means the home has original hardwood floors from the 40s or 50s, as well as original wiring, plumbing, cabinets and appliances.
So...I have started looking at land and modular homes in the hopes of being able to find something I can afford.  

Here is what I've learned about that route:
  1. Reasonably priced land does not have access to city water/sewer, so you will have to dig a well and septic tank...IF the land perks.  
  2. The cheapest land with gorgeous mountain views does not perk.
  3. Modular home deals that seem too good to be true ARE too good to be true.
  4. You must ad freight, handling, shipping, etc. costs to the cost of a modular and YOU have to have the home's foundation built as well as any porches, fences, etc.
  5. "Upgrades" means major $$$$$$$ in the seller's pocket.
Now I'm thinking, "I wonder how haunted is TOO haunted?" 😉

I wish Chip and Joanna Gaines would move to the Asheville / Hendersonville, NC area right away.  Seriously.  I need them!

Please pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment