Friday, June 24, 2016

Operation Sea Dragon, USS Keppler, Vietnam, and My Brother, Gene - 1966-67

All three of my brothers were US Navy during the Vietnam War years, but this morning I'm remembering my tall,  red-headed, freckled-face, mischief-making brother, Gene, who was next to me in sibling order, and whom I miss so very very very much.
Gene Wayne Batchelor
My brother, Gene, always loved me...just as I am.  That is a rare and wonderful thing.  We had many adventures together over the decades, but today I'm remembering an adventure he had without me.

I'm glad I wasn't there.

Back in late 1966 and early 1967 Gene was a Gunner's Mate aboard the USS Keppler, a Gearing-class US Navy destroyer, whose assignment at the time was "Operation Sea Dragon."
USS Keppler
Operation Sea Dragon's mission, as I understand it, was basically to help keep North Vietnamese men and weapons out of South Vietnam.  They were on patrol, and they saw action.

The following is recorded in the USS Keppler's deck logs:
  • December 6, 1966 the USS Keppler: 
    • anchored on gunfire support station near Trung Phan, South Vietnam, maneuvered as necessary to maintain anchorage while firing at targets ashore.
  •  December 7, 1966 the USS Keppler: 
    • anchored in Da Nang harbor. 
    • anchored off the Song Dua Dai River
  • December 8, 1966 the USS Keppler:
    •  anchored in Da Nang bay.
  • December 11, 1966 the USS Keppler:
    • rescued a downed pilot off the eastern coast of North Vietnam.
  •  January 29-30, 1967 the USS Keppler:
    • patrolled in the vicinity of the Song Giang river
  •  January 31 to February 2, 1967 the USS Keppler:
    • patrolled in the vicinity of the Kien Giang River 
During these patrols in January and February 1967, the USS Keppler destroyed or damaged 51 communist junks (A junk is a seagoing ship with a traditional Chinese design of square sails spread by battens, a high stern, and usually a flat bottom.).
 

The destroyer also frequently engaged enemy batteries on shore, and on March 11, 1967 a communist gun scored a hit on the USS Keppler's gun mount that was my brother, Gene's regular post.  Six crewmen were wounded.


The USS Keppler suffered a hit March 11, 1967.

Gene's shift had ended not long before the hit.  Gene's friend whose turn it was at the post was badly wounded.

Gene's body may have escaped that post without a scratch that day, but his mind, his heart, perhaps his very soul, were never the same.  He told me many times, "It should have been me who took that hit." 

That was never true, of course, Gene's shift was over.  It was not his fault his friend was hit. It was irrational of him to think otherwise, but Gene was 18 years old at the time and life had just shown him that he and his friends were not invincible.  The battleship could not protect them. The big guns could not protect them. Their lives were really and truly at risk.  

It was real.

Gene served his country in the US Navy until 1972.  After his honorable discharge from that service, he came home and tried to live a normal life, but he was never again the happy-go-lucky boy who went to war when he was 18.   

Gene ended up wandering from place to place for many years.  Never quite satisfied.  Never quite able to escape the demons that haunted him.  The silent screams of those men on those 51 communist junks were relentless.  He could never shake them. 

Vietnam was like that. 

No hero's welcome back to the states for the Vietnam vets.  Those sailors and soldiers and airmen and marines returned home to disrespect in all its various ugly forms.  They paid a very high price for their military service, and the carrying of that kind of stress shortened many of their lives. 

Gene died of a major heart attack in 2002 when he was 53 years old.  We and the US Navy carried out his final wishes. 

Gene's ashes were scattered at sea with full honors and a 21 gun salute by the US Navy from the USS McInerney, a guided-missle frigate, on July 1, 2003 at 27-47.6's6 LAT 072-46.8'w7 LON, Time 1030R.

May he rest in peace.

15 comments:

  1. We're sorry for the loss of your brother. I know some of his wounded shipmates, wish I could have met your brother. I served aboard the USS Keppler DD 765 Jan 1970-1972 decommissioning as an ET. We'll add Gene to our Memorial list, and I'll share your post of operation-sea-dragon, Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy & Healthy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sevice, your kind words, and for adding Gene to your Memorial List. You are appreciated! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours too. May the new year be filled with adventure and joy! All the best... -Alice

      Delete
    2. Kenneth Robinson EM 3December 26, 2023 at 9:38 PM

      I was onboard the Keppler that fateful day, as I reported to my GQ station I traveled past the Corpsman's office, as I did I stepped thru the passage way and the blood of my fellow sailors was present, thank g
      God no one died that day but I was surprised to hear of Gene's passing, I was an EM3 I am sure that Gene is at rest finally.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your post and your service, Kenneth. Gene has been in Heaven since 2002. I've been especially missing him this holiday season. It makes me feel better to hear from those who served with him. I appreciate all of you so much.

      Delete
  2. My deepest gratitude, and Prayers Steve, I am very Honored, and grateful for Your families service to our country Thank You For protecting and Caring. You Brother Gene is a Hero in my minds Eye, He was a good Honorable Man, and will not be forgotten ~~ This country was very unkind to our Vietnam Veterans , and for that I apologize !!! I want to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas, and God Bless You ~~ Always......Prayers and Love I send My Friend, and I will Light a Candle For Gene <3 Always, Christine A. Fogle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for remembering Gene. I appreciate it more than you know. -Alice

      Delete
  3. I was wounded in Gun Mount 51 and Gene had nothing to be ashamed of. I am so thankful of all who helped that day. I have had physical pain from that everyday for almost 50 years, but the mental pain is much worse. I pray for Gene and his family and thank them. Even though not pain free, my life has been wonderful and successful. Thanks so much for this story. Ken Westgate-Kalamazoo, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your service. I'm so very sorry for your pain. I wish I could heal all the pain from that war, but I can not. All I can do is tell the stories I know, so I will do that. The stories should not be forgotten.

      I'm so happy to hear that although you are still in pain, your life has been wonderful and successful! Thank you so much for letting me know, and you are very welcome for the story.

      All the best to you and yours. -Alice

      Delete
  4. Jim Wilson, age 74 of Tioga, ND just died this past week and he always talked about that night and how he was involved in the sighting for those guns. Thanks to all of you for your service

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very sorry to hear of Jim's passing. I thank him for his service, and will remember him and his family in my prayers tonight.

    Thank you for letting us know.

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice write up. I was in gun mount 52 on the keppler when we took the hit on 51.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your service!! AND thank you for your comment. I'm glad you survived that hit. I believe the stories should be told and remembered. Our Vietnam Vets should be honored. Lest we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was aboard the Keppler when we hit by the missile in mount 51. Was scary as hell. I cared for two of our shipmates, until we were able for them to receive proper medical care, although I was not a corpsman. They were wound severely , John Tabor and Red, forgot last name. Both were in the gun mount, when hit. I do remember your brother and was in Boot Camp at Great Lakes together. Then, I went to school in California and assigned to the Keppler. Also, Ken Westgate and I have become good friends. Am very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother and understand the trauma of his life. Nothing good about war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Sir. Thank you so much for your service and for remembering my brother. I miss him so much. Especially today, Christmas Day.

      Your service and sacrifice is appreciated so much. May you have a wonderful Christmas this and every year.

      Thank you so much for this message. I appreciate it more than you know!

      Delete
    2. You can't tell in the photo, but my brother, Gene, had bright red hair.

      Delete