Thursday, June 30, 2016

Hot Air Balloon Festivals in the Carolinas

Let's talk about hot air balloons!


Ever since I was little, I've wanted to ride in a hot air balloon.  I blame Mr. Bill.  I saw him ride in a hot air balloon on our little black and white TV once, just once, decades ago, and I was hooked.

Bill Norwood (aka Mr. Bill) was a local celebrity.  He starred on a children's show that aired early in the morning on Channel 13 (ABC Network) out of Asheville, North Carolina.  Mr. Bill is responsible for my early love of classical music as played on Bugs Bunny cartoons, and for many hickory switch stripings I suffered because of  shenanigans I did copying the Little Rascals and/or The Three Stooges.

Yes.  I blame Mr. Bill for a lot of trouble I got into, but Mr. Bill also gave me a "bucket list" desire to ride in a hot air balloon, so he is forgiven. 😉

Every year in October in the hill country of North and South Carolina, they have big hot air balloon festivals.

To view Balloons Over Anderson's festival schedule for October 2016 click HERE.

Usually about 25 or so balloons launch daily for three days in early October.  It is a festival atmosphere with food and craft vendors, carnival and balloon rides, live music, and such.  I've always wanted to go, and I plan to go when I retire and move closer to home. 

Statesville, North Carolina has Carolina Balloonfest every year in late October, so you can easily go to both of these events.  To view Carolina Balloonfest's October 2016 schedule click HERE.

This is another fun day with food and craft vendors, carnival and balloon rides, live music and such.  You can purchase an untethered ride on a hot air balloon of your choice at this festival for $250.00.  Better schedule in advance. 

If you are a little wary of untethered rides, you can buy a tethered ride for $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children age 10 and under.  

You need to buy tickets for the festival in advance.  It is always expected to sell out.

I honestly can't wait to do this!  I'm hoping maybe October 2017!  Cross your fingers for me.  😊


No comments:

Post a Comment