Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Fake News and Facebook

There is BIG MONEY in the fake news business.  So much money that it seems everyone is jumping on-board the fake news gravy-train, and Facebookers and Tweeters are stoking the engine.

I'm guilty myself.  I've re-shared posts on my Facebook feed that turned out to be false.  Luckily a good many of my friends are self-appointed fake-post police, so I don't think I've actually gotten away with posting a false news post, but I've seen a lot of them posted that I just haven't shared.

I've only called out a few of them.  One that I just had to point out came from a site named Fauxcountrynews.com.  It actually says in the headline: "Fabricating Charleston News Since 2016."  Seriously people.  Look up the word "Fabricating" if you must, but stop sharing things as real when they come from sites like this.

This particular article http://fauxcountrynews.com/charleston-county-officials-worried-about-riggd-election/ from October 19, 2016 brought all kinds of outrage from a good many of my Republican friends.  I was flabbergasted at their outrageous resistance to reality.  Just read the article.  You will see what I mean.

Many sites, unlike the one above, do not tell you they are publishing fake news.  They look, feel, and read like real news sites.  Some even use other legitimate site names with maybe a slight misspelling.  Be careful.  Be wary.  

If the news sounds too stupid or unreal or just plain ridiculous to be true, then it is probably NOT TRUE.

The real trouble with the fake news sites is they undermine trust in the real news sites. If you fall for fake news a couple of times you start to question all news, which, of course, you should.

This brings me to the saddest part of all.  MOST of our media is owned and/or controlled by a handful of billionaires and their corporations, which means we are fed a steady diet of the news that the few want the many to hear, which is not necessarily what is always really the most important things that are presently happening.

If this doesn't frighten you, I don't know what will.  These numbers are five years old, so just imagine how much worse it it now. (from http://www.morriscreative.com/6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america/):


But I digress....

I guess I'm just trying to say what my Daddy always told me, "Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

I'd also add, "Check your sources before re-posting news articles on Facebook." I know...I know...I should follow my own advice. I will try to do better.  I will....

No comments:

Post a Comment