Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Remembering Emma Kelly: A True Story

Back in 2000 I had the great honor and pleasure of meeting the famous pianist and singer, Emma Kelly in Savannah, Georgia.

My apologies for the photo resolution.  I really need to find the original and re-scan it, but here I am with the lovely and talented, Emma Kelly, the Lady of 6000 Songs.  

I had seen her in concert with the Charleston Symphony Orchestra in Charleston, SC once before, but I didn't get to meet her that night.  I was thrilled to meet her this night!  She is one of my all time favorite musicians.  I just love her.

Emma Kelly gained nationwide fame when John Berendt published his book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, back in 1994.  The book was full of Savannah, GA stories and characters and Emma Kelly was among them.  Then later in 1997, Clint Eastwood made a movie of the book. Emma played herself in the movie.  

She was and is unforgettable.  A finer lady never lived.  

Emma was the mother of 10 children.  She earned her living by playing the piano and singing, oftentimes having to drive long distances to get to her next gig.  She was a devout Christian, who was born in 1918 and died in 2001.

I own two of her CDs and listen to them often.  The last time I was in North Carolina visiting two of my sons and my granddaughters, I had Emma's music playing in the car and my sons heard her.  My son, Dave said, "Mama who is that singing?  She sounds like a female Louis Armstrong."  

Dave was originally a music performance major at North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston Salem, NC.  He was a jazz trombonist.  Him saying someone sounds like a female Louis Armstrong is high praise indeed. 

The night the picture above was taken, Emma was playing in a little jazz bar called Hard Hearted Hannah's, which was upstairs in the Pirates' House restaurant in Savannah, and... 

It was my 45th birthday!! 

A friend took me to Savannah for dinner at the Pirates' House that night, and then we went upstairs to hear Emma Kelly play and sing.  When she found out it was my 45th birthday, she came over and joined us for awhile.  We talked and laughed and had the BEST time.  She played and sang all my favorite songs, and honestly, it was one of the most memorable and wonderful birthdays of my life.  

About six months later, in January 2001, I heard the news.  Emma Kelly, the Lady of 6000 Songs, had passed away in her home.  She was 82. Thinking of her passing still makes me sad after all these years.  

I feel so very blessed to have had the opportunity to meet her.  It is so seldom we get to sit and chat with celebrities that we admire.  What a wonderful birthday gift!  A day and night to remember.... 

For more information about Emma Kelly, click HERE to read a 1998 tribute to her.  Her obituary is found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment