Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I Miss Thanksgiving Decorations

It doesn't seem that long ago when the world delighted in the holidays.  There were decorations for each holiday in its turn, and Christmas trees were NOT decorated in the stores before Halloween. 

I miss that.

I miss Thanksgiving decorations.  Cornucopias to celebrate the harvest, scarecrows and pumpkins and cornstalks and images of Pilgrims and Native Americans.  There were colorful Autumn leaves and turkeys and apples and gourds and acorns and pine cones.  People would exchange recipes and think of all the reasons they have to be thankful.

I miss that.

The neighbors would plant their lovely Fall flowers, pansies and chrysanthemums and such.  Nuts and fruits and vegetables would be gathered and the harvest would be preserved for the winter by freezing or canning or such.  

If you lived on a farm, it was hog killing time and all the meat would be salted and smoked to preserve it for winter.

Thanksgiving always felt like a job well done.  We planted.  We harvested.  We are thankful.  We are blessed.  Now we feast!


Only the grocery stores get excited about Thanksgiving now, but even there you'll see Christmas cookies and candy canes already on the shelves.  

I miss holidays meaning something other than a reason to buy and sell things.  I miss people remembering that Thanksgiving is more than just a turkey dinner.  It is the celebration of the harvest.  It is a time to gather together and give thanks and count our blessings.

Thanksgiving decorations always reminded me of that, and Christmas decorations didn't happen until AFTER Thanksgiving.

I miss that.

Truly, I miss Thanksgiving decorations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment