Monday, November 21, 2016

Building a Mountain Dulcimer at the Unicoi Dulcimer Festival (2008)

Those who know me well know that I play the mountain dulcimer.  It is one of the pure joys of life.  When I am down or grouchy or feeling mean, all I have to do is play my dulcimer for awhile to feel better.  I love it.

Back a few years ago I used to always attend the North Georgia Foothills Dulcimer Festival held annually the weekend before Thanksgiving at Unicoi State Park near Helen, Georgia.  Such fun!!!  We shop from all the wonderful vendors, catch up with friends, attend workshops and concerts, and jam all night long.

Back in November 2008 I took a day-long dulcimer building workshop at that dulcimer festival.  A local luthier presented the workshop, and I had the BEST time.

I'm thinking about that workshop today, so I thought I'd share the photos.  If you ever have a change to go to a dulcimer festival, GO!  You'll be glad you did.  A finer group of people never gathered together on this planet.  You'll see.

Beginning the Build.  The clothespins stay until the wood glue dries.


This is the luthier who lead the workshop.  I wish I could remember his name.






Voila!  I built a dulcimer!

No comments:

Post a Comment