Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Two Poems I Wrote for My Brother, Gene, in Alice's Verse

Yesterday was my brother, Gene's birthday.  He passed away in 2002, but I still think of him often and still miss him terribly. 

Back in 2010 I published my poetry book, Alice's Verse, and dedicated it to Gene.  The dedication reads:


These thoughts are dedicated to the memory of my red-headed brother

Gene Wayne Batchelor

who truly loved me just as I am


Today I thought I'd share two of the poems I wrote for him with you.  They are on pages 10 and 20 of Alice's Verse.  Enjoy!


My Big Brother

Follow me!
The words still sing
in my mind's ear

Follow me!

Bright red hair
Freckled face;
Tiger lily sword
at the ready

Off he ran...
Ready to take on the world!!!
and the Wilkins boys;
whichever he encountered first

Me at his back
short legs struggling to keep up
little arms a-pumping
as I ran

I adored him

My big brother

I still adore him
even now
tho the Navy
has scattered his ashes
with honor
at sea

Little sister love
is forever love...

He still loves me too.




Big Brother's Game

Give it back!!!

You have to say the magic word.
He'd taunt me
with moon pie breath
and freckled face

Abracadabra?

devilment dancing in his eye
clapping his dirty hands
with glee

You only get three tries, he'd say

Hocus pocus?

laughing now
spinning
in a happy dance

One more try!
One more try!

he'd cackle through
his crooked grin

Oh...fudge

quiet

What did you say?

oh...fudge

dejected
broken
oh...woe is me...he

as he pulled from his pocket
my Cracker Jack prize

You cheated, he'd say
and winking
turn
run away

No comments:

Post a Comment