Sunday, December 11, 2016

McAdenville, NC = Christmas Town, USA

From the time I was a teenager until I was 40 years old, I remember going to McAdenville, North Carolina at Christmastime to see the lights. 

The traffic is horrendous, but the lights are spectacular and worth the wait - especially if you have little ones whose eyes reflect joy along with all the colors and twinkles. 

McAdenville wasn't always a Christmas town. Originally it was just a quiet little mill town in Gaston County, North Carolina.  If you travel from South Carolina on Interstate 85 towards Charlotte, you'll see the exit. I find its history fascinating.  

Back in 1956 they decided to decorate a few outdoor trees.  I've always been told that the mill owners pay the electricity bill for the town during the month of December, but I don't know how true that is.  I do know that the mill owners have always played a part in the decorating of the town.  

Everyone loved and enjoyed seeing the first trees decorated so much that the next year they decorated more...and the next year more...and the next year more...until it has morphed into "Christmas Town, USA" as it appears today.

Some of the trees they decorate are up to 90 feet high!  It is certainly a beautiful sight.  Children of all ages delight in seeing the lights. More and more people go every year, I am told, so expect delays, but go if you can.  It is always FREE, and FREE is always the right price.  For more information click HERE.

I sure hope to go again sometime myself.  It truly is lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment