Monday, December 5, 2016

A Wonderful Life

Every year I watch the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life," and every year I wonder, "Has my life made a difference?"

It always amazes me when people remember me, but I know they do.  I've worked in education most of my adult life, so I've come in contact with literally thousands of people.  For the most part, they are only a sea of faces that have passed through my life, but some of them stand out.  Some of them have changed my outlook or given me things to think about.

Have I helped them?  Have I somehow influenced them?

Sometimes just the people I pass on the street influence me.  I see their faces.  I hear their voices.  The ones I remember. 

Back in 1995 or 1996 I was in the Charleston Christmas Parade with a lot people who were close friends at the time.  We were dressed in mid-1800s clothing. Hoop skirts and the like.

As we walked along the parade route, a little boy (about 5 years old) touched my skirt and said, "You look good."  It was such a sincere compliment.  It made me smile.  I smile every time I think about it, and it always lifts my spirits.  What a lovely gift he gave me! 

Something as simple as that can change a life.

I wonder if a simple word from me has soothed someone now and then, or do my words generally sting?  

I think to myself, if I had not been born, then my sons would not have been born, and my granddaughters would not have been born.  

Maybe their souls would have been born as different people.  Their lives better or maybe worse. 

At any rate, because I was born, they were born and each life they have touched is because I was born and chose to have and raise children.  This means my life has touched many many many lives through my sons and granddaughters.

The same could be said of all my ancestors.  If not for their choices, I would not be here.

It is a lot to think about.  I'll think about it awhile yet, but right now I'll simply remember the sweet compliment of a little boy, smile, and wonder how many lives that little boy has touched by now.  I'm betting he has done great things so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment