Thursday, December 15, 2016

Happy Birthday to My Eldest Son, Dave!!!

It was mid-December. 1973. I was extremely pregnant and still had nearly two weeks until my due date, but that December night it decided to snow, and my baby Dave decided he wanted to see it.

So early that next morning, we made our mad dash to the nearest town where there was a hospital, and by that afternoon we had a son!  A beautiful, tiny, and healthy baby boy, and my life has never been the same.

Dave brought the kind of joy into my life that only a child can bring.  He was so much work!  I had no idea.  I also never knew you could love another person so utterly, totally, completely, and fiercely! A mother's love for her child is a very special thing.

Dave was my first.  My only for just over two years.  He was my world when I was young, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.


Today is his birthday!!  My son's birthday!  

I used to do treasure hunts for my sons on their birthdays after they learned to read.  I'd hide little gifts with notes that had clues where they'd find the next gift.  The last gift was the "real" gift, of course, but they sure loved finding all the little things.  I'd wake up those mornings to the sound of little feet running back and forth through the house hunting.  They liked the hunt as much as the gifts most times.  I miss those birthdays.  

I was fortunate enough to be with Dave on his birthday last year, and I hope to be with him next year, but this year I'll have to settle for a phone call today.  

Happy Birthday Dave!!  Don't forget to blow out some candles and make a wish!  Birthday wishes always come true.

I LOVE YOU!!!

Dave's birthday cake one year ago.


Now I have to share one of my very favorite birthday photos of Dave from his childhood.  Just because this picture makes me so happy when I look at it.  (See below.)

Dave is sitting in one of my Mama's red dining room chairs in her old house. We had many many many family meals sitting in those red chairs at that dining room table.  Dave loved going to his Grandmama's house.  

It seemed at the time like those days would last forever, but they were gone all too soon.  (NOTE TO SELF: Be sure to cherish each day.  Life will change again...and again...and again...all too soon.)

On this particular day, the day this picture was taken, Dave turned three years old.  He was overjoyed with his birthday cake I baked him!  Just look at that face.  Precious.


Sometimes it's really good to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment