Saturday, December 3, 2016

Green, NetZero, Passive/Active Solar, Stick-built, Modular, Energy-Efficient - So much to think about!

I'm planning to move in a few months, so I've been spending some time checking out homes for sale in and around the area where I wish to be.  I've also been thinking of maybe building a new home, so I've been doing some research in that direction as well.

This is what I have learned about building a house so far:

Green Building (aka green construction or sustainable building) - a building practice that emphasizes using only renewable building supplies, reducing waste, being environmentally friendly, energy efficient, and healthy for people, animals, and neighborhoods.

NetZero Building (aka zero net energy (ZNE) building) - a building practice that produces a structure whose yearly net energy usage is roughly equal to the energy produced onsite.  At times the building will use the electric company's energy and at times the building will supply energy to the electric company.

Passive solar building - a building that is designed to collect store and distribute solar energy as heat in the winter and designed to reject solar heat in the summer. Existing buildings can at times be adapted to be passive solar buildings.

Passive examples: -a tree in front of windows (a deciduous tree) -windows (large facing south, smaller facing north)

Active solar building - a building that uses solar panels or other mechanical means to produce energy.

Active examples: -collectors (solar panels) and storage (water heaters)

Energy-efficient building - a building that is well insulated and uses modern technology to reduce energy consumption (Examples: using Energy Star appliances and energy efficient windows) All Green buildings are energy-efficient, but not all energy-efficient buildings are green.

Regular stick-building - may or may not be energy efficient or even have any energy-efficient features.  It is up to you to make sure you're getting the most for your money.

There are also modular house options in addition to stick-built house options.  A modular home is built in a factory to stick-built house standards and then brought to your land and put onto its foundation.  A stick-build house is built in-place on your land. 

NOTE: There is still a stigma to modular houses in some parts of the country due to the less expensive price tag and the confusion about whether or not the modular is a "mobile home" or "double-wide trailer" which a modular is NOT as a mobile home or double-wide trailer is built to much less strict standards.

I've also learned that most builders want to build larger houses with much larger price tags than I can afford, or they want to build tiny houses too small for me and my big dogs.  The tiny houses have very large price tags considering their square footage.  

I'm still looking.  

Here is what I want with a deck outside the dining room sliding doors and a fenced backyard for my good dogs.  There should be a door in the back of the garage leading to the fenced backyard.  

All flooring should be hardwood or linoleum, as I have asthma and two large shedding dogs.  Carpet will not work for me.

Let's hope I find or can build something similar to this for the right price in the right place when it is time to move!!



Two bedrooms and one bath would work for me too, and I don't really need a basement.  A gas log fireplace would be nice, but not necessary.  Vaulted ceilings would also be optional, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment