Friday, January 6, 2017

Will It Snow???

Today I'm thinking about snow.  It might snow tomorrow.  It might not.  It probably will NOT snow in Charleston, SC where I am right now, but it probably will snow back home in the hills where I was born and raised. 

When I was little, it snowed several times every winter.  I used to long for snow.  I loved pretty much everything about it except when the electricity would go off.  Actually, when I was really little, I didn't even mind that so much, as long as we had water and our oil or gas heater to keep us warm.  I really hated it when the pipes froze though.

I remember one year when I was young, it snowed knee deep back home, which is a lot for upstate South Carolina.  We built snowmen and broke through the ice in the horses' water so they could drink.  We made sure all the outside animals had food and blankets and a warm dry place to sleep. We slid down the hill on old cardboard or anything else we could get to slide.  We gathered snow for Mama and watched her make homemade snow cream.  She never measured anything, but it was always good. 

Afterwards, we'd gather around the gas space heater in Mama's den.  Red faced with cold fingers and toes and big bowls of snow cream on our laps.  We laughed and talked and ate snow cream until we just about popped. 

Those were the days, my friends.

When my own sons were little, it snowed less those winters, but it always snowed at least once.  Here is a photo of my eldest son, Dave, and our dog, Lady (aka: the BEST dog in the world!) back in the 1970s.

Lady's tail is wagging so fast that you can not see it!  Lady LOVED playing in the snow with her boys.  I may have given birth to those sons, but they really belonged to Lady, or so she believed.  She spent many long hours trying to round them up.  They never herded worth nothing.  Poor Lady girl. She was an Australian Shepherd and took her shepherding seriously. She just kept trying. Wagging that tail and smiling the whole time.  She was such a good dog!

Here is a photo of me in the snow in the 1980s.


By that time my boys were pre-teen and/or teenagers and mainly wanted to sled or have snowball fights! We had so much fun back then.  We'd take the sleds up the mountain to Batchelor Drive and slide down the road all the way to Dolittle Bridge.  Someone with chains on their tires (a family member or one of the neighbors) would follow in the truck to pick us up and take us back up the hill.  Then off we'd go again!  You could get up to 55 mph on those sleds going down that steep hill for a couple of miles or so before getting to the bottom.   Great groups of us would go together and slide.  So much fun!  Yes.  I know.  Very dangerous, but it sure was fun!

After I moved to Charleston, SC, I almost never saw snow, but it did snow about 9 or so years ago, and I took this photo of my good boy, Buster.  It clearly lets you know exactly what he thought of snow.  This may have been the first time he had ever seen snow.  Let's just say he didn't like it.  

I miss Buster so much.  Cancer is a horrible thing. Please pray for a cure!!  But I digress....

My girl, Dolly wouldn't even go that far out into the snow.  She would just step off the deck to do her business and back inside she would come.  That stuff was slippery and it just didn't look like you could trust it.  -grin-  I LOVE DOGS!

I have more snow pictures I'd like to show you, but they have not been scanned.  There is a project for my retirement.  Scan my literally thousands of photos, so I can more easily share them!!

Now I'm wondering what my boy, Stark, would do in snow.   I wonder if he has ever seen snow?  He was three when I adopted him in 2013, so he may have come from the frozen north for all I know.  I have to wonder.  I kinda hope it does snow so I can see what Stark does.  Can't control the weather though...at least not yet!

Cross your fingers and do a snow dance tonight!  Maybe it'll work!

No comments:

Post a Comment