Thursday, January 5, 2017

2016 Reflections

2016 was a traumatic year.  I'm not sure traumatic is a strong enough word.  I maybe should say disturbing or distressing, but there were some good days sprinkled here and there to keep me sane.

There were two weddings in my immediate family and two deaths in my immediate family. It was a very emotional year.

January was a month of joy for my son, Marcus, as he married his love, Anne, last January in a small courthouse ceremony near their home in California. I was unable to attend. Anne did share all the photos with me though, which is the next best thing to being there.  They make a lovely couple.

Later in January I was able to visit with my old grade school and high school friends from back home.  They come to Charleston every year to attend the Oyster Festival held in January at Boone Hall Plantation.  I didn't go to the festival this year, but I did meet my friends for dinner one night while they were here.  It was good to see them.  I've known some of those people since we were babes in bassinets.
  
At the end of January I had the honor and the absolute joy of attending the AKC Dog Show held annually at the Fair Grounds in Ladson, SC.  I had such a good time.  The dogs were all awesome!  I'm really glad I didn't have to pick the best ones.

In February my church had an oyster roast that I enjoyed, and I also got to spend some quality time with my brother, Tom throughout the month.  

In March my sister, Miniver, and family visited.  It was a great visit!  We went out to eat one of the nights and before they traveled back home, we all went to our brother, Tom's house and had a cookout at the fish pond.  The food was delicious and the company was the best.  It was the highlight of March.  I had the best time visiting.

Also in March, I hired a landscaper to get all the leaves out of my yard.  It was about a hundred bags full of leaves and costed me hundreds of dollars, but the yard sure did look better.

Later in March, I painted my living room.  It took a few days, but I finally finished it.   

By mid-April my living room "paint and clean project" was complete, and it looked all clean and wonderful!
I spent some quality time with my dogs in April.  We visited dog parks and took long walks, as I lived in dread of hotter days.

A couple of my friend, Crystal's plays were read in a lovely outdoor area outside a restaurant in the revitalized older area of North Charleston off Park Circle at the end of April.  I enjoyed sitting under the trees and listening.  
Again, I spent as much time with my brother, Tom, as possible.

My son, Dave, came to visit for Mother's Day in May.  We both spent some time with Tom when Dave was here.  It was an excellent visit. 

My brother, Howard, sent me a Family Name Origin framed print that month that I really like.  I also got to spend some time talking with him on the phone.  He had been in and out of the hospital for several months and I missed our phone conversations so much.  It was good to hear his voice.

In June I started writing this blog!  I've enjoyed it so far.

My friend, Carol and I celebrated her birthday by going on a Bulldog Culinary Tour that I won on Employee Appreciation Day at my workplace in May.  The tour lasted several hours.  We visited many restaurants downtown and sampled the food.  The tourguide was very knowledgeable. It was so much fun, but the day was in the mid-90s and humid, so we felt a little wilted by the end of it.  
I spent a few happy days at several dog parks with my good dogs in June too.  They love the dog parks.
My birthday is at the end of June.  This year I celebrated by doing a day trip with friends.  We met downtown for breakfast and then we went to see Bee City in Cottageville, SC!  It was fun.  On the way home we stopped for BBQ.  The temperature was 104 degrees and very humid that day, so we couldn't stay outside as much as we wanted, but it was still a fun day.
My sweet sister, Miniver, fell in July and hurt her leg very badly.  I was so worried about her.

In mid-July I had to travel to Chicago to present at a conference.  I've been presenting at that conference for many years now, so I know a lot of the people who attend every year.  We had a great time, but while I was at the conference, I got the news that my brother, Howard, who lived in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, had passed away.  I will miss him until I die.  That trip was sure a roller coaster of emotions! 
While in Chicago, I took a Greeter Tour in the Old Town area of Chicago and spoke to a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in many years.  I didn't recognize her, but a few minutes later she recognized me and sent me a message that night, but it was too late.  I missed talking to her.  What are the odds?
My plane home from that trip was several hours late.  There were bad thunderstorms, but I finally did make it home that night/early morning.  

Later in July my son, Marcus and his wife, Anne, brought Anne's parents to Charleston to meet me.  We took a walk and had dinner together one night and walked around downtown another day.  It was nice to meet them.
Towards the end of July, I got to meet my newest little great-great nephew, Cole!  What a sweetie.
August was mainly full of work as the Fall 2016 semester began, but my friend, Judy, and I did visit the The Center for Birds of Prey in Awendaw, SC one HOT day.  We really enjoyed seeing all the birds.  I only wish the weather had been nicer.
At the end of August, Judy and I attended the SC Aquarium's Charter Member Reception together, and we got to tour not only the aquarium but also the Sea Turtle hospital, which was a real treat!
September, I mostly worked, and spent my weekends with my brother, Tom, as his health continued to decline.

October brought Hurricane Matthew.  I couldn't find a place that would take both me and my two large dogs, so I stayed home for the hurricane.  I was without power for three days, but other than that, we did okay.  The flood was not as bad as it was the previous year when the 1000 year flood hit SC.  I was thankful for that.

In mid-October, my nephew, Chris, married his lovely bride, Debbie in Gaffney, SC.  I attended the wedding.  It was lovely.  I also got to visit two of my sons, both my granddaughters, my granddog and grandcat while I was there.  It was a happy trip.
In late October I took my good dogs to meet my brother, Tom's and my nephew, Tom's dogs at my brother's  house.  We all had a good visit, and my great-great nephew, Weston had the best time playing with the dogs.
In November, my son, Dave visited for Thanksgiving.  We ate with my brother, Tom and his family and had the best time.

In December I attended The Citadel's Christmas Chorus performance with Linda, Margaret, Debbie, and Judy.  It was so good, as always.  

Then, a few days later, I bought a new smart phone!  I LOVE IT!  

My friend, Conyers and I went out for coffee one morning and she brought me some Wassail as a Christmas gift!  Delicious!  

I did Christmas shopping here and there, but I mostly spent time with my brother, Tom and his family, in December, as his health continued to decline.  

Tom passed away Christmas Eve morning, December 24, 2016.  I'm so thankful that I was able to spend so much time with him this past year.  I will miss him until I die.  

The last week of December, my friends Karen and Carol and I went to see the Christmas lights at James Island County Park.  Beautiful.

New Year's Eve I spent alone with my good dogs doing a craft project that I was given for Christmas.  I'm okay with that.  It was a good way to end this year, I think.
Yes.  I lost two brothers in 2016.  That alone made it a very traumatic year, but add in work and the stress of watching a loved one battle cancer, and the year became distressing and disturbing.  But, as you can see, there were pockets of happiness in even the darkest days, as there were family and friends and my good dogs who all love me.  

When all is said and done, I still feel blessed.  I am blessed to have known my brothers at all, and I am blessed to have so very many family and friends who love me.  Yes.  I am blessed and I am thankful.  AND I have good dogs, which make life worth living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment