Friday, January 13, 2017

I Think I'm in Love With Sixto Rodriguez

Seriously.  I love this man.  I love his music even more.  I love that he's not about money and fame. I feel so cheated that I didn't get to listen to his music on the radio when I was young.

You want to hear his music.

You want to hear his story.  It is incredible.

He was bigger than the Rolling Stones in South Africa back in the early 1970s.  He was even bigger than Elvis. His first album, Cold Fact, was released in 1970 followed by Coming from Reality in 1971.  For whatever reason he didn't find an audience in the US back then, but South Africa was a different story. 

Rodriguez is presently working on his third album.  I sure hope he finishes it because I want to buy it.  I LOVE his voice and listen to his music often on my drive to and from work.  You can purchase his music by clicking HERE.  His official website is sugarman.org.

I know I posted about Rodriguez back in October, but it came to my attention today that the full documentary about him, Searching for Sugarman, which won an Oscar for Best Documentary in 2013 is now on YouTube, so I had to share.   

To view all the film's awards click HERE and be prepared to scroll a long way down before getting to the end of that list.  It is a remarkable film - a modern day rags to riches story - a story of a life that should have been.

The Rolling Stone also published a great article about him back in 2013 that you might enjoy.  To read it click HERE.

Here is the documentary.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment