Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Wilkins Kids Haunted House

Today I'm remembering the Wilkins kids.  

When I was born we lived across the street from them.  The children were: George, Sally, Bruce, Philip, and Stephen.

Philip and I were the same age.  He's a dentist in Winnsboro, SC now.  He always wanted to be a dentist.  I used to be envious of him always knowing what he wanted to be when he grew up.

Me?  I wanted to run away with the circus most of my childhood, but that's another story.

Today I'm remembering one Fall of the year back in the late 1950s when the Wilkins' children made a "Haunted House" in their basement.  They charged a penny to go through it. 

It was pretty gross.  

They had it set up in the pitch black dark and one of them would walk (or push!) you through.  They would jump out and grab you to scare you a couple of times and make scary noises, but what I remember most were the disgusting things.

Those boys could be pretty disgusting at any given time, but they really put their minds together to come up with repulsive things for their Haunted House.  

I can just see them plotting and laughing as they gathered their vile offerings.

They put your hand in a bowl of spaghetti for guts, big olives for eyeballs, some kind of thick jello nastiness for brains, something disgusting for cut-off fingers and toes, something for spiders, puke, etc.  -shudder-  I may have been scarred for life.  -grin-

I went through it several times.  -laughing-  

Now I'm wondering if they remember doing that.  It was a very long time ago....


The Wilkins' Old House - 2016
The Wilkins' old house is still there today, but the parents built a new house and moved many years ago now.  I still think about this old house sometimes though.  It holds a lot of childhood memories for me.  I'll tell you more about it by and by.

No comments:

Post a Comment