Thursday, September 8, 2016

Rev. Jim Wells and Rock Springs Baptist Church: A True Story

Today I'm still thinking about churches.

In the small town where I was born and raised, most of the churches were Baptist, as were my parents.  I was raised Baptist and brought my sons up the same.  It was not until I was in my 50s that I found the church that spoke to my true beliefs, the French Huguenot Church in lovely Charleston, South Carolina.  My ancestors were French Huguenots.  I guess their beliefs clung to my family and somehow got passed down to me, but it is true that I have spent the majority of my life in Baptist churches.

Today's post is about one of those churches and a pastor who served there.

Rock Springs Baptist Church is the church where I raised my three sons.  They were all three baptized there.  My sons and I attended church services regularly, and I taught an adult Sunday School class there for many years.  During those years the church had several pastors, but today I'm remembering the Reverend Jim Wells.

Preacher Wells' story is a somewhat unique one.  You don't meet people like Jim and his lovely wife, Lydia, everyday.  They were very special people, and I am blessed to have known them. 

When Jim and Lydia were first married, he was an alcoholic, the very worst type of alcoholic.  He would stay out drinking to all hours of the night pretty much every night and come home only when he ran out of money. Lydia would feed him and clean him up only to have him go out and do it all again the next night.  Jim would spend the grocery money on booze...the rent money...whatever money he could find. 

Now Lydia was a devout Christian.  She never gave up on Jim.  She prayed for him each and every one of those days and nights. She never asked for much of Jim in return for her loving kindness.  The only thing she would insist upon was that Jim drive her to church every Sunday.

No.  Jim wouldn't actually go inside the church, but he did drive her to the services and he picked her up when they were over, oftentimes sipping his whiskey in the car while he waited for the last song to end.

Then one day all that changed. 

Jim died. 

Jim had a major heart attack and actually died.  He was dead for several minutes.  While they were reviving his body, Jim's soul was visiting the river, Jordan.

Jim said he suddenly found himself standing on the banks of the river, Jordan, and a voice said, "Jim, I want you to clean up your life.  I want you to become a preacher.  Accept my plan for your life, and I will send you back.  Deny it and you will cross over this river never to return."

Well, Jim thought about that a few minutes.  He thought about his lovely wife, Lydia, and how he would miss her.  He thought to himself, "I can't do this.  I'm the worst of sinners.  Who would listen to me preaching?" but he didn't argue out loud with the voice.

Time seemed to stand still while he made his decision.

Suddenly, he found himself back in his body, and from that day forward, he was determined to be the best preacher he could be.  He stopped drinking.  He started helping others.  He and Lydia started taking in foster children and did the best they could to give them a good home during their stay with them.  They even adopted two special needs foster children and gave them a true home.

Eventually this path led Jim and Lydia to Rock Springs Baptist Church to bless us, the members there, with their message.  We were truly blessed!

Then one late summer Sunday in 1982 Jim told us about the upcoming revival.  He was so excited!  The revival was scheduled for every weeknight during the last week of August that year.  Summer was almost over, and Jim said it was the perfect time for revival.  He talked of nothing else.  Homecoming was on his mind and he spoke of the great Homecoming we will all have one day.

It was August 26, 1982.  My eldest son, Dave, was attending a friend's birthday party that night, so I didn't make it to church, and I'm really glad I missed that particular service.

They said Jim was preaching the most moving sermon of his career when his face changed.  He clutched his chest and fell.  Forever silent. With the whole congregation sitting in stunned disbelief. 

One of the nurses attending the service was the first to reach him.  Others called an ambulance.  They did everything in their power to revive him, but Jim had crossed that river this time.  God had called him home.

Life, however, went on in our little church on the hilltop.  We mourned Jim, and Lydia moved away, as we needed the parsonage for our next pastor and his family.   The brilliance of Autumn turned to the starkness of winter and then to spring's rebirth.  The church's little children grew and new generations took their place in the pews. 

Such is life.

But I'm remembering Jim and his message today.  I'm hoping eternal life on the other side of that river suits him just fine. 

Jim's beloved Lydia joined him the day after Christmas 2010.  I'm betting the reunion was joyful!

Yes.  I'm remembering Jim and Lydia today, and I'm hoping your lives have been touched by people like them.  All who knew them couldn't help but love them, and, as I'm thinking of them today, I'm reminded to strive to be more like them.  Loving, faithful, honest, and kind...a person worthy of being remembered.

That is my wish for you too this day. May you find blessings where you least expect them.  😇

Rock Springs Baptist Church - near Earl, North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment