Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hurricanes and Good Neighbors

If house values were based on how good the neighbors are who live around the house, then my house would be worth at least a million dollars, probably much more.

Recently Hurricane Hermine decided to pay a visit to Florida.  She was downgraded to Tropical Storm Hermine by the time she made it to my house in Charleston, SC, but a Tropical Storm is still a powerful thing, so I was anxious to say the least.

During the recent South Carolina 1000 year flood, my yard flooded.  The flood water never got inside my house, but it did flood my garage and driveway so bad that I had to park my car at a neighbor's house to save it.  

As Hermine approached this past Thursday, two of my neighbors said I could park my car at their houses.  I chose the one farthest up the "hill" and moved my car, but, as it turns out, it did not flood at my house during this storm.  Still, it was so good to know that my car was safe.

I have the BEST neighbors in the world.  

I have a friend who lives in nearby Mt. Pleasant, SC whose neighbors call the police when she does not cut her grass.  My neighbors?  They cut the grass for me when I can't cut it myself.  They are concerned for my well-being.  They take care of me.  I am blessed.

Late yesterday about the time the eye of the storm passed and all seemed calm, I heard chain saws and looked outside.  It appears that a neighbor lost a tree and the other neighbors were out in the middle of the storm clearing it away so no further damage would come of it.  

Seriously.  I have the BEST neighbors in the world.

Thinking about neighbors brought up some questions for me today, so I thought I'd share a few with you to make you think a little. 

I ask you.
  1. What kind of neighbor are you?  
  2. Do you know your neighbors?  
  3. Would you go to their aid in a storm or other emergency situation?  
  4. Do your neighbors know you?  
  5. How do you think your neighbors would describe you?
Just a little food for thought today. 




No comments:

Post a Comment