Thursday, September 15, 2016

Picture Day!

It was "Picture Day" at The Citadel this week.  Shoes were shined.  Buckles were polished.  Everyone showed up for photos.  Even faculty, staff, and administrators gathered for departmental photos.  Fresh faced and looking their best.

This has not always been the case for me on picture day as you can see in these photos below.


Yes. I've been looking through old photos again.  I found these ten school "Picture Day" photos of myself.  A decade of change....

Lord.  Look at my hair!  

I've never had much luck with my hair, I guess.  I hated my hair most in second grade, but at this point in my life I have to admit that it did look the most stylish that year.  I hated it at the time though.

I guess I'm just not that much of a stylish person.

I think I like my third grade photo best.  I'd like to know that girl.  She looks eager and hopeful.  There is an excitement about her like she may be heading for adventure, and she can't wait to tell you about it!  

Yep.  That about sums me up in third grade.  One of those adventures gave me a broken arm a few weeks after this photo was taken.  My right arm was in a big heavy cast when JFK was assassinated that November 22nd.

Now I'm wondering how much I've changed these past ten years.  A decade is a long time.

Where will I be in ten more years?  How different will my life become after I retire and move away from Charleston, SC?  Charleston has been my home since 1995.  It will be a big change to leave, but I feel strongly that I need to move back to hill country or mountains.  I'm so tired of perpetual summer.  I need seasons again.

These are my thoughts as I think of Picture Day...my last Picture Day.  The times they are a'changin' again.  I expect that is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment