Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Useful Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows PCs

Aren't computers fun?!  NOT!!!

Well, computers are really good when they work, but they can be a real  headache when they're not working correctly.  This is why I believe it is always best to know more than one way to do anything on a computer.

When I do software training workshops, I compare computer knowledge to driving directions.  It is always best to know more than one route to where you are going.  There may be a wreck that has traffic tied up for hours, or a bridge can be under repair, etc. Knowing a detour is very useful information.  The same is true when you're working on a computer.

That is why I've decided to share the most useful shortcuts I use when working on a computer.  These work with most Windows programs.

First of all, I use right-click a LOT.  Oftentimes if I highlight something and right-click on it, I will get an option that I need, but when that doesn't work, I try these (Just hold down the Ctrl key and press the appropriate letter. Don't press the + unless you are doing the Zoom one.):


Ctrl + BMake text bold
Ctrl + IMake text italics
Ctrl + UUnderline text
Ctrl + LAlign text left
Ctrl + RAlign text right
Ctrl + EAlign text center
Ctrl + XCut
Ctrl + CCopy
Ctrl + VPaste
Ctrl + ZUndo action (My personal favorite!)
Ctrl + Shift + Z          Redo action
Ctrl + ASelect all
Ctrl + +Zoom in
Ctrl + -Zoom out
Ctrl + 0Reset Zoom
Alt + F4Closes the application
Ctrl + Alt + DelRestart the computer immediately
F5Refreshes a webpage immediately
Ctrl + FFind
Ctrl + PPrint

I hope you find these useful! 

1 comment: