Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Even the Windows Sweat

There are no words strong enough to describe how much I truly hate July in Charleston, SC.

Don't get me wrong. I love Charleston. It is a lovely historical city, and a wonderful place to visit. I have lived here 21 years now, but I plan to move to mountains the minute I retire next year.

Why, you ask? The air is just too thick for me to breathe here, and I miss autumn most of all. There are no true seasons in Charleston. The seasons here are basically: Hot, Hotter, Hottest, and Hellfire.

Seriously.

For instance, this is what the insulated windows in my house looked like today at 10:30 am.



Yes. That is condensation. No. Not on the inside. It is on the outside. The humidity outside is presently hovering around 86% with actual temperatures in the 90s, heat indexes in the 100s and thunderstorms on the way.

Summer thunderstorms in Charleston mean more heat and humidity. In other words, if you enjoy saunas, come to Charleston in July! Just walk outside. Free sauna!

Charleston is a subtropical environment. The weather here is very different from other parts of South Carolina as illustrated by this planting zone map:




I am originally from Cherokee County, SC. Notice how much cooler it is there.  Very different plants live there. The heat kills those plants here.

I'm in the minority here though. 999 out of 1000 people I meet here don't have asthma or breathing problems. They LOVE heat and humidity. They think 80 degrees is chilly. If you are one of those people, you'll love it here!!

Come to Charleston! Where even the windows sweat...

No comments:

Post a Comment