Monday, July 4, 2016

July 1978: A July to Remember

Of all the Independence Days I remember July 4, 1978 the best.

Well, I remember that July the best.  Back then the South Carolina Peach Festival was in its infancy in Gaffney, South Carolina. William Shatner himself was the parade marshal that year.  It was a BIG event! 

Also in July of 1978, the folks over in Gaffney took 20,000 pounds of peaches, 10,000 pounds of sugar, 5,000 pounds of flour, etc. and baked up the biggest peach pie on record!
The Sumter Daily Item - July 14, 1978

Nobody wanted to miss the parade that year.  I will never forget it.

My son, Eric, was three months old.  My son, Marcus, had just turned two, and my son, Dave, was four.  Like a crazy person, I agreed to go the parade with all three sons in tow. 
Marcus, Eric, and Dave - 1978
It was a sweltering hot day.  I had bathed and dressed everyone.  Packed the diaper bag with food, drinks, diapers, clean clothes, toys, a wet cloth, band-aids, etc. Remembered to bring a blanket to sit on. I was hoping to find a shady place to sit on the parade route, but no such luck.  We were sitting on a curb in the hot sun watching the pre-parade spectacle. 

What a zoo!

There were people dressed up in all kinds of costumes wandering around.  High school band members in uniform. Native Americans in traditional garb (I suspect many of those were actually Shriners.).  Cowboys.  Brilliantly colored clowns in  all shapes and sizes were walking the streets and heckling the crowd.  Balloon vendors.  Cotton Candy vendors.  All kinds of people.
One of the clowns was going up and down the street making the children cry and laughing about it.  He came up to Marcus, who was two years old at the time.  Marcus totally ignored him.  He finally tapped Marcus on the shoulder, and Marcus turned around and gave him the most withering look.  Then turned back to watch the beginning of the parade in the street.  Again ignoring the clown.

The clown was flabbergasted.  He said to me, "Did he see me?  He's not scared of me?"

I said, "Marcus isn't scared of much." 

The clown gave me some candy to give my sons and walked on down the street shaking his head and muttering to himself, "I've never seen the like of that before..."

People have been saying things like that about my son, Marcus, all his life.  He's an original.  That's for sure. 

We sat there in the sweltering heat with the boys getting more and more fussy until finally, at the very end of the parade, there was William Shatner.  Big as life.  Captain James T Kirk himself.  He looked right at me and waved!

We didn't hang around long after that.  The boys all needed their naps and so did I, but I kept the memories of that day tucked away to share today.

I hope your July 2016 is just as memorable!  Happy Independence Day! 

IMPORTANT: Please remember to keep your pets indoors when the fireworks start, and please be considerate and STOP shooting fireworks before midnight! I have to be at work very early tomorrow morning and I'm betting many of your neighbors do too. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment