Monday, February 6, 2017

A Forgotten Queen and Humanity

Today, once again, I'm reminded that humans are merely large insects in the scheme of things.  Crawling all over this planet eating everything they can, while they can.

Some of us are butterflies and bees.  Pollinating and helping the planet.  Some of us...all too many of us...are termites and roaches and Palmetto bugs.  Hell bent on destroying our planet.

Are we here to take take take until all the Earth's resources are depleted?  Or are we  here to preserve our planet and keep it safe for future generations?  What do you think the Earth will do if we push Mother Nature too far?  Do you think there will be a good end to the human race if we ruin our air and water so a few rich people can get richer?

You can NOT eat money.  If our food and water and air become toxic, we will die.

We will die.

Believe that.

A few years ago, when I was writing my poetry book, Alice's Verse, I wrote this poem.  It is on page 9 of the book:

Kings of Men and Wisdom

All Kings of men are but animated dust
Wandering Earth while they may
Conquering what they can

But all their power is like water on a griddle
As are their days
...soon evaporated

True power lives in legend
Twisting on the tongues of children
Whispered around campfires
Shouted in the headphones
...of modern technology

History is only that which is written
Truth can seldom be proven
Wisdom lies in faith....


This still rings true to me.

Today I came across an article about Fawzia Faud (1921-2013), Princess of Iran and Queen of Eqypt, at different points in her lifetime.  She was a striking beauty, and she led a very interesting life.  It was a riches to rags to riches to rags kind of life, as she lost pretty much all she held dear several times only to reinvent herself again. 

Her quotes that I read today that have stuck with me are:

“Twice in my life, I lost the crown. Once I was the queen of Iran, and once I was the princess here (Egypt).” She smiled. “It’s all gone now. It doesn’t matter.”

“When you visit the tombs of kings and queens, you see they leave everything behind,” she said, “even the crowns.”

If you'd like to read more of her story, click HERE.  Fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment