Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Thinking of Creepy and Wonderful Baby Dolls Today

Back in the late 1990s I used to travel through a little South Carolina town called Branchville, SC on my way to Bamberg or Blackville, SC. 

I always stopped in Branchville to buy ice cream at The Churn walk-up window.  The Churn is a somewhat famous ice cream shop and well worth the time and money to stop.

One day I was traveling with a lady friend and we decided to explore the little main street of the town and we found a doll shop.

DOLL SHOP, 7649 Freedom Road, Branchville, SC. Also known as Jackie's Doll Shop and Dorothy's Porcelain Studio. Handmade collectibles by Jackie Burns. Open by appointment. (803) 274-8127.

This doll shop had lifelike dolls.  I mean seriously creepy and wonderful lifelike and often life-size dolls and porcelain dolls.  After finding the shop we'd often stop by that year on our travels up that way and "visit" the dolls. 

Back then the shop was always open, so it was an easy stop.  If you want to see the dolls now, you'll have to call for an appointment.  Totally worth it.

Some of the dolls had human hair.  They looked so real that I've never forgotten them. They reminded me of the book, Baby Doll, by Marilyn Knight. 

This book is out of print now, but you can find used copies if you look for them.  

The author, Marilyn Knight, is a childhood friend of mine.  I have an original copy of this book somewhere and plan to re-read it after I'm able to retire.  One of the characters in the book is a lifelike baby doll that really freaked me out...much like the lifelike dolls in the Branchville Doll Shop.

Not sure why I'm thinking of baby dolls today, but I thought I would share.  


Find the book.  Read it.  It is good.

Go visit the Doll Shop in Branchville if you ever find yourself in that small South Carolina town.  You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment