Sunday, April 9, 2017

My Front Door - Before and After

As most of you know by now, I plan to retire and move closer to family come July 2017, so I am in the process of doing some painting before I put my house on the market to sell. 

This weekend I finished painting my front door.  It was painted "Charleston Green" (aka: black) previously, but I decided to paint it red instead.  Now that it is done, I wish I had done it years ago.  It looks so good and changes the whole mood of the house when you see it from outside.  I just love it!

Here are before and after photos.  As you can see, the door was dirty and faded and in dire need of painting.  I've painted the inside of my house a few times since I purchased the house 12  years ago, but I hadn't painted the front door.

What do you think?  Do you like the red???


I think it is fitting that I finished painting the door red during the Easter season.  Red doors have significance, you know.  The first recorded red doors were written about in the Bible (Exodus 12).  The doors were red because they were covered in lamb's blood for Passover.  After that red doors signified protection, which is a very good thing.  

Here are more beliefs about red doors:
  • Protection
  • Good Luck
  • Mortgage Free (Scottish tradition - sadly NOT true in my case)
  • Welcome
  • Refuge
  • Energy
To read the background behind these beliefs, click HERE.

In Ireland doors are painted red to ward off ghosts and evil spirits.  

The Chinese paint their doors red to invite good luck and happiness into the house.

Church doors are painted red to remind us of how Jesus Christ shed his blood for us and to let us know we are entering a place free from evil.

Me?  I hope all those things are true, but I really just like the color.  I'll enjoy seeing it everyday until I move, and hopefully after I move I'll have a new and beautiful red door to pass through everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment