Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Remembering Gayle McCaffrey 5 Years Later

As I prepare to end my time at The Citadel, I find myself remembering all the people I've known here.  Of all those people, the one I'd most like to see walk through my door today is Gayle McCaffrey.

Five years ago Gayle was 36 years old. She and I both worked at The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, located in lovely Charleston, SC.  We worked in different buildings, but I'd often see her on campus.  She was quiet and sweet.  The kind of woman who would go out of her way to help you.  Always a smile and a "Good morning!" to share.

Then one Monday Gayle didn't come to work.  Everyone just thought she was home sick, or maybe she had a sick child that day.  No one was really upset about it.

Then that same Monday night there was a press conference.  Gayle's husband said she is missing!  What???  We couldn't believe it.  Gayle was a wonderful mother.  It was just unthinkable that she would leave her children without an explanation.  What happened to Gayle?

We still don't know.

Her body was never found.  She never returned or contacted anyone.  We all suspect she was murdered, and I, personally, believe her husband did it based on the police investigation, but without a body, he was never charged.

Husband or not, someone obviously got away with murder. 

Click HERE to view a timeline of events surrounding Gayle's disappearance.

Gayle McCaffrey

Yes. I'm remembering Gayle today. I pray someday her children will have closure as to what happened to their mother. In the meantime, I'm sharing this with you.  Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment