Friday, May 12, 2017

Alice's Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day

Yesterday everything I touched seemed to go wrong.  I sometimes have these days, of course, but yesterday was particularly bad because I took an annual leave day from work. 

Here's what happened:
  1. The house painters arrived shortly after 6:00 AM as expected.
  2. The dogs ate their breakfast, went outside, and I locked their dog doors to keep them safe inside while the painters worked outside.
  3. I ran to a local hardware store for a shut-off valve thing to repair my squealing toilet.
  4. When I tried to remove the old part from the toilet, it broke off.  I then tried to remove the clip from the center over-flow tube and the whole center tube broke off too!  It's like the plastic had dry-rotted.  I tried in vain to get those parts out of my toilet to replace both parts, but I remembered that the plumber had used some kind of underwater sealant on them.  Yup.  Glued permanently, as far as I could tell.  I couldn't get them off, so...
  5. Went to Lowes and bought a new energy efficient toilet.
  6. Came home to install the new toilet, but the phone rang.  I was late for Physical Therapy!!
  7. Rushed to Physical Therapy.
  8. Came home and needed to ice my knee, but instead I...
  9. Removed the old toilet and installed the new toilet.  (That sounds way easier than it was.)
  10. Remembered that I am almost out of laundry detergent and went to the grocery store to buy some Wisk.
  11. No Wisk at the first store.
  12. No Wisk at the second store.
  13. No Wisk at the third store.
  14. Looked up Wisk online and it is selling for over a hundred dollars a bottle.
  15. Went to wisk.com and discovered that Wisk has been discontinued!! 

    NOTE:  I've been using Wisk since the 1960s.  Tide breaks me out in a rash.  Smelling many other detergents gives me a terrible headache.  If I had known Wisk was going to be discontinued, I would have bought at least a year's supply!  -sigh-
  16. Realized that I forgot to eat.
  17. Cooked. The food took longer to make than expected.
  18. Ate.
  19. Checked on the painters. Hard at work but one of them left early.  They told me someone didn't show up at all, so now they are down two painters.
  20. Another painter left around 6:30 PM after working a 12 hour or so shift.
  21. Two painters continued working until nearly 10:00 PM.
  22. One painter is coming back late today to finish the job. 
  23. Heard a drip drip drip when I flushed the toilet this morning.  Thought I was going to have to replace the wax ring (a BIG annoying job), but I tightened the bolts holding the toilet to the floor and it stopped, so I guess I just didn't tighten them enough.  
  24. Bought a new wax ring at lunchtime today anyway (They are very cheap.) in case I hear the drip ever again.  The new ring is thicker than the one that came with the toilet, so I may replace it anyway.  May not.  We shall see.
  25. My one bad day has leaked into my second day.
  26. Heard the drip again. Installed the new wax ring. No more drips!  I actually love the new toilet. 
  27. My sons are not coming for Mother's Day.
  28. I'm missing seeing one of my granddaughters all dressed up for her high school prom tomorrow night.
  29. I never even got started on the real chores I wanted to do yesterday.
  30. Spent some time freaking out about everything I need to do before I move.
  31. The house is still not yet on the market.
  32. Stark ate something that has given him gas. PHEW!! Not good. I need a clothespin for my nose.
All that, but I have a beautiful new toilet that uses a much smaller amount of water to flush, AND it is chair height, so it doesn't hurt my knee to get up and down from it.

That is the silver lining.

Every cloud has one.  Even "terrible horrible no good very bad day" kind of clouds have silver linings, and I am thankful for that!

1 comment:

  1. What a day you had! But oh, the relief on your joints from the new toilet.

    I used Tide Free for a long time, but after I had some skin rashes (couldn't pin-point whether it was from detergent or not), I shifted to All Free and Clear. You might want to try it.

    Recommendation for stains: Shout Free--dye free and fragrance free--dermatology tested. For many years I used Wisk, but the last time I bought some (obviously before they stopped making it), it had such a strong smell of fragrance, I could not use it. Before I tried the Shout Free, I tried other brands but did not find anything I liked. Be sure that you don't get the regular Shout. I can't remember the color of the container of the regular, but the Shout Free that I currently have is in a turquoise bottle.

    Scroll through this link and look at the photos and the video.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4397273/say-goodbye-to-wisk
    --Ceil--

    ReplyDelete